If i buy a windows 98 can i

hancocmc01

If i buy a windows 98 can i buy a operating system for egxample (xp proffesional) And make the windows 98 into xp?

If so how would you do it thanks

Trizoy

VIP Member
Im not really sure you can still purchase win98.. But if you mean upgrading to a newer version of windows.. YES. BUT, you will still have to purchase/borrow... acquire it. You dont get all operating sytems because you buy one.

narafa

You can buy XP Pro as an upgrade and install it along with the win98, and you will be able to choose which operating system to start every time you boot your PC.

You won't be able of course to start win98 from within the Win XP.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
Usually you can buy the xp upgrade, boot to the cd. It should ask you to put in a qualifying copy of full version OS. the upgrade cd's have the full product on them but are locked unless you prove you have a qualifying full version ofa previous OS. I'm not sure if win98 qualifies for the xp upgrade, never tried it...

flame1117

banned
i think he means if he buys a win 98 comp, can he buy windows XP and change, it and the anwser is yes if that is true.

NT61

banned
I would say yes if you have 128MB RAM or higher for decent performence. Also, if you are a bit more specific on your posts, it can help me post my suggestions and thoughts :)

apj101

VIP Member
I had trouble installing xp to an very laptop. Only way to get it installed was to put on an old version and upgrade. First i tried 95, which installed (man that was a blast from the past), but only then found out you cant upgrade to xp from 95, so i upgraded to 98, then upgrade to xp.

Fun fun fun

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
If i buy a windows 98 can i buy a operating system for egxample (xp proffesional) And make the windows 98 into xp?

If so how would you do it thanks

If your asking if you buy a computer with Windows 98 and still upgrade to windows XP then the answer is yes as already mentioned by flame1117.

If your asking if you can purchase a windows 98 installation disk and then install windows XP as an upgrade then I'd suggest that you don't buy Windows 98 and just the XP installation.