I'm at my wits end with trying to fix a video problem - HELP!

kona

I have an sli platinum board with 2 512mb nVidia cards. I never had trouble watching videos until about 6 months ago when my wmp (11) all of a sudden would not show video (sound only). But, when I used my vlc software I could watch video - and - after viewing on vlc my wmp could view video - until I logged off and logged on again and then I would have to open video files in vlc again first.

But,
today even my vlc player won't work!

I've tried to uninstall my wmp and it won't - I just get the message it will be rolled back to an earlier version - what?

I've uninstalled my VLC software and reinstalled it - still no video!

I've restored to an earlier date - still can't watch a video.

When I try to open a video in VLC I get a message that the video is "broken" and I click on repair but - still it only plays sound - no video.

Is there a simple setting that I need to click on or something that's an easy fix that I'm not aware of? When I installed VLC I made sure all the .exe (all the formats) were checked.

Any suggestions (short of tossing the pc over the cliff nearby and buying a new one - that gets expensive - lol).

Kona

Not sure of what the actual problem is but when it says that it is being rolled back (WMP) that means it removing that one and using an older version already installed on your computer. You then have to uninstall it again.

kona

CAN'T WATCH VIDEO ON MY DESKTOP - but I can on my wife's ??

Not sure of what the actual problem is but when it says that it is being rolled back (WMP) that means it removing that one and using an older version already installed on your computer. You then have to uninstall it again.

It must be something that happened on my desktop because I just switched to my wife's desktop on this pc and I can watch video with the VLC player fine. For the life of me I can't figure out what I did to block video streaming on for all players on my desktop ! .

Thoughts - suggestions !

Last edited:

BobsYourUncle

Might be a long shot but perhaps worth a try:

I have been fighting a similar issue for about 3 weeks now. After a recent build, all the latest greatest fancy stuff, everything worked great. All of a sudden I can't open a video file in any media player. WMP, Winamp and Nero Showtime. As soon as I tried to open the video, immediate crash of the player.

I tried lots of things, remove & reinstall WMP, made sure my XP Pro was up to date, did a system restore to a date when all was working, and a gob of other things. I even ran sfc /scannow from the Run command to check all my library files to make sure they were OK.

NOTHING WORKED!!!!

On one of my many reboots I noticed that on my reboot screen there was a funny random colored band through one of the POST messages. Hmmmm Video driver issue. Hmmmmm I wonder?

So I went into my Install/Uninstall menu and removed all traces of my ATI drivers and related software, downloaded the latest package, installed & rebooted.

Holding my breath, I launched a video and how 'bout that? It worked! Problem cured. It was my video drivers.

I'm running an Asus Maximus Extreme board, and dual ATI Sapphire HD 3870's in Crossfire mode.

Perhaps this may work for you. I downloaded the new drivers first before dumping the old ones so I could just launch the install after the remove/reboot.

shawnmh

Did you update from 10 to 11...
I would recommend looking into codecs, if you updated something could have gone wrong.
Other than that, I agree with -BobsYourUncle- go to Nvidia, get the latest driver, or maybe roll back if you have updated..