I'm back, and here's a problem.

ScottALot

So my dad needs to get a couple laptops for a client. The guy wants two laptops that have specs similar to these:

AMD Athlon™ X2 QL-62 dual-core processor, 3GB DDR2 memory, 250GB hard drive and high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g); HP Imprint finish in glossy black

Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW drive, 15.6" BrightView widescreen, NVIDIA GeForce 8200M graphics, integrated microphone, 5-in-1 media reader and Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1

The client found it for: $429.98

Those specs came from a Compaq laptop that doesn't seem to be retailed anywhere anymore. If you could find a similarly priced laptop with very similar specs, post!

ScottALot

I'm surprised I didn't see that one... that's a great one! Just for kicks, anyone else have a suggestion?

Fatback

VIP Member
You're the one building computers, picking a laptop off Newegg should be no problem to you at all...

He builds desktops not laptops which are two totally different worlds of computers. Sounds to me like he is trying to find someone with some knowledge about laptops that know which ones are good and has similar specs like he posted. Also I don't think he cares if it is from newegg he is just looking for one no matter what site.

Springy182

He builds desktops not laptops which are two totally different worlds of computers. Sounds to me like he is trying to find someone with some knowledge about laptops that know which ones are good and has similar specs like he posted. Also I don't think he cares if it is from newegg he is just looking for one no matter what site.

Lol this is funny since you obviously havent tracked ScottAlot much.. Doubly so since you said "He builds desktops" When it's more like "He asks for help on a forum on how to run HIS 'business' "

Laptops are hardly any different from desktops, to say they're different worlds is gross exaggeration, laptops simply have the added confines of weight and battery life, since he was asking to find one of identical specs, he could simply browse Newegg himself, but that's besides my point.

And I used Newegg as an example, again. When you run a business or in his case try to, you should have the knowledge to do so instead of asking on forums all the time, and then asking other people to do research for you.

Fatback

VIP Member
Lol this is funny since you obviously havent tracked ScottAlot much.. Doubly so since you said "He builds desktops" When it's more like "He asks for help on a forum on how to run HIS 'business' "

Laptops are hardly any different from desktops, to say they're different worlds is gross exaggeration, laptops simply have the added confines of weight and battery life, since he was asking to find one of identical specs, he could simply browse Newegg himself, but that's besides my point.

And I used Newegg as an example, again. When you run a business or in his case try to, you should have the knowledge to do so instead of asking on forums all the time, and then asking other people to do research for you.

I don't know what you mean by tracking him I'm not stalker or anything. I don't see anything wrong with asking for help on how to run a business either.

Yes I was exaggerating when I said they are 2 different worlds. Look at it this way just because you know everything about a desktop computer doesn't mean you know anything about laptops. I work in a computer shop where I build and fix desktops all day. I don't know hardly anything about laptops. Like what CPU is better, the difference between GPU's in them or anything really. Laptops are basically another language and if you don't know it you can't speak it.

Oh and this thread has nothing to do with his business at all. He is trying to help his dad out by asking a simple question an which laptop would be the best for his dad's client.

I don't know why you are trying to make him seem stupid talking about how he runs a computer business but know nothing about laptops. He builds desktops which is what area he is knowledgeable in.

All he wants is a simple question answered. Which laptop with these specs is the best one to buy. Now is that so hard to do.

BTW if you weren't going to help him with his question then why did you reply. Looks to me like you only replied to try to make a fool out of him.

Springy182

I don't know what you mean by tracking him I'm not stalker or anything. I don't see anything wrong with asking for help on how to run a business either.

Yes I was exaggerating when I said they are 2 different worlds. Look at it this way just because you know everything about a desktop computer doesn't mean you know anything about laptops. I work in a computer shop where I build and fix desktops all day. I don't know hardly anything about laptops. Like what CPU is better, the difference between GPU's in them or anything really. Laptops are basically another language and if you don't know it you can't speak it.

Oh and this thread has nothing to do with his business at all. He is trying to help his dad out by asking a simple question an which laptop would be the best for his dad's client.

I don't know why you are trying to make him seem stupid talking about how he runs a computer business but know nothing about laptops. He builds desktops which is what area he is knowledgeable in.

All he wants is a simple question answered. Which laptop with these specs is the best one to buy. Now is that so hard to do.

BTW if you weren't going to help him with his question then why did you reply. Looks to me like you only replied to try to make a fool out of him.

I meant, I've noticed his posts alot, that's not stalking at all, and when he -relies- on asking people and cant handle anything himself

I don't know what you're on about, laptop components arent radically different, a hard-drive is a hard drive, modem is a modem and so on

Yeah this wasnt directly related to his "business" but I was just pointing out he should learn these things himself which will serve him better in the long run rather than relying on other people

Look at some of his flipping posts, he doesnt know much about desktops either

To paraphrase you... BTW. If you weren't going to help him with his question then why did you reply? Looks to me like you only replied to start a flamewar with me

Fatback

VIP Member
I meant, I've noticed his posts alot, that's not stalking at all, and when he -relies- on asking people and cant handle anything himself

I don't know what you're on about, laptop components arent radically different, a hard-drive is a hard drive, modem is a modem and so on

Yeah this wasnt directly related to his "business" but I was just pointing out he should learn these things himself which will serve him better in the long run rather than relying on other people

Look at some of his flipping posts, he doesnt know much about desktops either

To paraphrase you... BTW. If you weren't going to help him with his question then why did you reply? Looks to me like you only replied to start a flamewar with me

Well he can't learn if he doesn't ask now can he. Asking is the best way to learn as far as I know. I don't think it really matters if he learns anything at all about laptops. Since his goal is to run a desktop business.

He might not know a lot about desktops. So I'm guessing that is one of the reasons he joined this site to learn more.

BTW flame war is 2 words:p but good comeback

I didn't won't start start an argument I just wanted to know why you are commenting on his business when this thread has nothing to do with it.

If you have something to say to him then you should just PM him.

Last edited:

Springy182

Well he can't learn if he doesn't ask now can he. Asking is the best way to learn as far as I know. I don't think it really matters if he learns anything at all about laptops. Since his goal is to run a desktop business.

He might not know a lot about desktops. So I'm guessing that is one of the reasons he joined this site to learn more.

BTW flame war is 2 words:p but good comeback

I didn't won't start start an argument I just wanted to know why you are commenting on his business when this thread has nothing to do with it.

If you have something to say to him then you should just PM him.

Yes and there's nothing wrong with asking, except if you're simultaneously trying to run a business where you claim (Right on his website) to already know such information

I missed the space bar, sue me :p

I was commenting since he has his own "business" (Which isnt even until he gets incorporated and goes through red tape) he should know these things\

I dont particularly have anything else to say here or in a PM

Last edited:

Fatback

VIP Member
Yes and there's nothing wrong with asking, except if you're simultaneously trying to run a business where you claim (Right on his website) to already know such information

I missed the space bar, sue me :p

Of course you shouldn't run a business until you fully understand what your doing and how to do it. Yea he might be doing a little false advertising but what business doesn't:rolleyes:.

My lawyer will give you a call very soon mister:D

Springy182

Of course you shouldn't run a business until you fully understand what your doing and how to do it. Yea he might be doing a little false advertising but what business doesn't:rolleyes:.

My lawyer will give you a call very soon mister:D

A little? That's like calling insurance companies a little dishonest :p

I will see you in court! My lawyer says the most you can get out of me is McDonalds coupons and monopoly money which I shall fight tooth and nail for!

Fatback

VIP Member
A little? That's like calling insurance companies a little dishonest :p

I will see you in court! My lawyer says the most you can get out of me is McDonalds coupons and monopoly money which I shall fight tooth and nail for!

Insurance companies are dishonest:eek:

My lawyer said that I can get me some potato chips to:good: Watch out

Me>:gun: :(<You

Last edited:

ScottALot

To be very honest, you guys are extremely off topic.

To Fatback, you're defending me??? Weird!
To Springy, I just started making desktops last summer. I was a complete noob to the computer hardware world until then. To be honest, I think I've gotten pretty far. About my business thing, I enjoy making computers. So much, in fact, that if you paid for all the parts, I'd make one for you free of labor charge. The reason I charge for labor so much on the web-page is because 1. We have serious money issues, I need money for college 2. I'd like to keep some of the computers I build 3. I need money for a class trip to Belize. Please don't say "Not my problem" because you are making it your problem by posting nonsenes like the last 10 posts on this thread.

Now does anyone else have a laptop in mind before I show this to my dad? It doesn't have to be a Compaq, btw.

Fatback

VIP Member

To Springy, I just started making desktops last summer. I was a complete noob to the computer hardware world until then. To be honest, I think I've gotten pretty far. About my business thing, I enjoy making computers. So much, in fact, that if you paid for all the parts, I'd make one for you free of labor charge. The reason I charge for labor so much on the web-page is because 1. We have serious money issues, I need money for college 2. I'd like to keep some of the computers I build 3. I need money for a class trip to Belize. Please don't say "Not my problem" because you are making it your problem by posting nonsenes like the last 10 posts on this thread.

Now does anyone else have a laptop in mind before I show this to my dad? It doesn't have to be a Compaq, btw.

Yea we did go of topic there didn't we but that always happens in just about every thread.

Yes I was defending you because I realize that I was wrong the last time I commented on your business.

Everybody has money problems well I don't so much but that's because I work 2 jobs and live by myself. I also never buy anything because I'm greedy:D.

I can't find any more laptops with those specs maybe a couple close but most have Intel CPU's if you won't I will post them for ya.

ScottALot

You could post those Intel builds, because these Compaqs have strange prices... Best Buy says they have them for 450 but they're all out of stock...

And I want to live your life, but I gotta wait like 5 more years.

Fatback

VIP Member
Here is the ones I was talking about

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152127
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101182
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146581

I got lucky my grandpa owns a bunch of property so he just gave me a house. My dads friend game me a job at his computer shop. Which I am know co-owner of. I got my part time job at FYE from a friend that works there. You might not be as lucky as me but in 5 years when you are where I'm at your going to feel better about yourself. Knowing that you did it and you never had anything given to you.

Springy182

I can build my own, but thanks. You should seriously consider just working at Walmart or McDonalds, trying to sell new products over a certain value without the proper licensing is illegal and can bring trouble and whatnot (No that's not a threat)

massahwahl

VIP Member
What are they going to be using the integrated mics for? I dont know about all laptops but the majority of the ones ive used have been complete and udder crap quality. So if they need them for anything practical, I would get yourself a different microphone setup.

Laquer Head

I just started making desktops last summer. I was a complete noob to the computer hardware world until then. To be honest, I think I've gotten pretty far. About my business thing, I enjoy making computers. So much, in fact, that if you paid for all the parts, I'd make one for you free of labor charge. The reason I charge for labor so much on the web-page is because 1. We have serious money issues, I need money for college 2. I'd like to keep some of the computers I build 3. I need money for a class trip to Belize. Please don't say "Not my problem" because you are making it your problem by posting nonsenes like the last 10 posts on this thread.

Wow!

That is so wrong! I hate to be so blunt--but damn you are a crook man!

That website is awful, at best, and you are potentially misleading people that don't know any better.

You should be ashamed of yourself and get a real job to put yourself through school instead of ripping off people and trying to get a free pass to travel, and live comfortably with the least amount of effort!

Just WOW!