I'm computer illiterate and need your help!

rangi_bro

Hi guys I am not very good with computers so will try to be as descriptive as i can.

I just purchased a 320gb SATA II samsung hard drive for my HP dc7100sff computer. It is to replace a 40gb seagate Hard drive which was running solely as a slave. My primary drive is a 80gb Western Digital which i am keeping for the operating system, the slave for my storage.

I have installed the new Samsung drive into the exact same location as the seagate slave drive and connected the sata and power cables the same way.

The BIOS recognises that the hard drive is present but when I get into windows it does not show any D drive or any storage drive other than my primary.

Is this a common problem and can someone please help me to fix it? I am not very computer literate so If there is a procedure to follow could you please 'dumb it down' for me?

Thanks for the help.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You have to go to disk management and create a partition and format the drive before it will show up in my computer. Right click on my computer and pick manage. Open the Storage tree and click on disk management. At the bottom right you should see your new drive. Right click on it and pick create partition then follow the steps in the wizard and it will format the drive for you. If it gives you the option, a quick format is fine, you don't need to do a full on a new drive. Once that's done the drive will show up :)