Im confused about SSD...

Feddy

Ok now here is the thing...

Ok so i was planning to buy a 200gb SSD

but then i realized or i thought is it faster is i buy two 100gb ssds, since they work together or? Is that how it works?

Please expalin

salvage-this

As far as I know the only way that you will make them work faster is by getting 2 100gb SSDs and having them in a RAID 0 array. but I wouldn't really advise it.

salvage-this

RAID 0 stripes the data across 2 (or more) disks. The problem is that there is now double the chance that you can loose all of your data on the SSDs because there is no data redundancy. So if either of your SSDs die all of your data is gone. As far as I know it is not possible to rebuild any of the data lost in a RAID 0.

It is kind of a risk/reward thing. I don't think that having the extra speed is all that necessary when yo compare it to doubling your chance of losing all of your data.

Feddy

RAID 0 stripes the data across 2 (or more) disks. The problem is that there is now double the chance that you can loose all of your data on the SSDs because there is no data redundancy. So if either of your SSDs die all of your data is gone. As far as I know it is not possible to rebuild any of the data lost in a RAID 0.

It is kind of a risk/reward thing. I don't think that having the extra speed is all that necessary when yo compare it to doubling your chance of losing all of your data.

SSD Rarely die RARELY!

Benny Boy

I don't think that having the extra speed is all that necessary when yo compare it to doubling your chance of losing all of your data.
...and comparing it to hdd, if thats what you've been using.
It's been said that raid for ssd is worth the performance, but it was with more than 2 or 3 drives.
I believe atm, Intel has an ACHI/raid driver and AMD does not. w/o ACHI you loose those features, which include TRIM.