I'm going to buy a laptop soon and...

Fragbert

I was looking at these two. I was wondering which is better in terms of price and power? Don't be afraid to go into detail. Both are HPs and both are around 1200-1300$. That's my price range.

This is the first one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9375865&type=product&id=1218094582785

This is the second one:

HDX16t series

$1,167.99

Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P7450 (2.13GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

Memory FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

Hard drive FREE Upgrade to 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive from 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

Graphics card 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M

Display 16.0" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1366x768)

Primary optical drive FREE Upgrade to Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer

Personalization Webcam + Fingerprint Reader with HP Imprint Finish (Fluid)

Networking Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card

TV & entertainment experience No TV Tuner w/remote control

Keyboard HP Color Matching Keyboard

Primary battery 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

OS and recovery media System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)

Productivity software 50% OFF! Microsoft(R) Office Home and Student 2007

Last edited:

PatPheFox

I was looking at these two. I was wondering which is better in terms of price and power? Don't be afraid to go into detail. Both are HPs and both are around 1200-1300$. That's my price range.

This is the first one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9375865&type=product&id=1218094582785

This is the second one:

HDX16t series

$1,167.99

Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P7450 (2.13GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

Memory FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

Hard drive FREE Upgrade to 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive from 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

Graphics card 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M

Display 16.0" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1366x768)

Primary optical drive FREE Upgrade to Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer

Personalization Webcam + Fingerprint Reader with HP Imprint Finish (Fluid)

Networking Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card

TV & entertainment experience No TV Tuner w/remote control

Keyboard HP Color Matching Keyboard

Primary battery 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

OS and recovery media System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)

Productivity software 50% OFF! Microsoft(R) Office Home and Student 2007

well the mre expensive one is better, what are you going to use it for?

EGamerHDK

Well I'm looking into engineering and architecture for college so I need a computer that can run 3D modeling programs.

I also like to game though, so it'd be nice if the computer could support some higher end games.

Also I have another one: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...ation.do?destination=review&config_id=3120015

I customized that one.

Architecture? Sorry, but you're gonna want a better computer than that. Try looking into a dell business computer. My college requires these for all architecture students. Dell Latitude E Series 6500.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&kc=laptop_latitude_e6500

Configure this baby with the best cpu and at least 4-6 gb memory and you'll be fine for what you wanna do. Putting the few extra bucks in will deffnitely help you in the end. I promise. and btw this laptop is amazing...

PatPheFox

Architecture? Sorry, but you're gonna want a better computer than that. Try looking into a dell business computer. My college requires these for all architecture students. Dell Latitude E Series 6500.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&kc=laptop_latitude_e6500

Configure this baby with the best cpu and at least 4-6 gb memory and you'll be fine for what you wanna do. Putting the few extra bucks in will deffnitely help you in the end. I promise. and btw this laptop is amazing...

thats not any better than the ones i posted, and youd need to upgrade the gpu

EGamerHDK

thats not any better than the ones i posted, and youd need to upgrade the gpu
Easily a lot better. Business grade computers... something that you can't buy in stores.

2.0GHz Quad.
There's just something about programs... especially in use for modelling that have still not upgraded to the quad core. You'll be stuck with most programs running only one core or max two. That's the only drawback I see in your system. And I would recommend a faster harddrive but, that up to you. But, like I said first. It all comes down to the build quality. The HP you're looking at is made up of entirely plastic. Something that I don't settle for in a laptop anymore. It's up to you but plastic cased laptops break down so much more than something in a metal.

Fragbert

I'll think about what you said...as of now my budget is pretty fixed so...I know paying a bit more would be better but I'm tight on money.

PatPheFox

Easily a lot better. Business grade computers... something that you can't buy in stores.

2.0GHz Quad.
There's just something about programs... especially in use for modelling that have still not upgraded to the quad core. You'll be stuck with most programs running only one core or max two. That's the only drawback I see in your system. And I would recommend a faster harddrive but, that up to you. But, like I said first. It all comes down to the build quality. The HP you're looking at is made up of entirely plastic. Something that I don't settle for in a laptop anymore. It's up to you but plastic cased laptops break down so much more than something in a metal.

what are you talking about 2.0 quad??? and basing a purchase on the case material isnt reasonable

EGamerHDK

what are you talking about 2.0 quad??? and basing a purchase on the case material isnt reasonable

The first laptop you have posted. 2.0.

But then again buying a computer made out of plastic for over 1,000 isn't worth it in my book. I've had 3 hps and all had hardware problems. And when I got a business laptop the overall design was so much better than the hp.

604action

I don't recommend the hps
3f4366aeb9c157cf9a30c90693eafc55.jpg