I'm starting to hate Vista...

PHATSPEED7x

I have Vista Home Premium installed on my LT2016U Gateway netbook. Came with this from the old owner of the netbook. Well some of the stuff on the netbook that I would love to get working don't work.

-Wireless card.
-Webcam.
-3G mobilebroadband (I have a usb card through verizon I could get switched over to this netbook with a trip to the store)

At gateway's support website they only have drivers for XP (which is what was installed on this laptop to start with) or windows 7. I've tried both drivers with no luck.

So here is what I'm thinking of doing...

-Biting the bullet, and getting windows 7 starter for this netbook.
-Biting a different bullet, and get a copy of XP.
-Screw both window OS, and install linux on this computer...

I just want to get the wireless card to work. Right now the only way I can get onto the internet is either have my Verizon data card connected, or hook up a Ethernet cable to a cable modem. I live out in the sticks where I don't have access to cable internet or even a phone line. That's why I have my data card. I do have access to a couple wireless networks in town, but can't connect to them because my wireless card isn't working. Grrrrrrrr :mad:

Drenlin

I'm sure the drivers are available somewhere, if that's the issue. However, running Vista on 1GB or RAM is not smart...7 or Linux would be your best bet.

There's no point in getting Win7 starter or XP...Win7 Home Premium runs fine on netbooks, and is easier to acquire than both of them.

shoppertrip

oh bro you should have been hating it sooner...Vista's a pricey garment, very splendid outward but is so burdening. a lot of drivers find no compatibility on Vista

BillOhio

Gateway laptop with Vista here... the DVD drive doesn't recognize blank discs, the on/off switch to activate WLAN doesn't work, I can no longer access IEX, MSN, or the iTunes Store, the webcam is in and out, I can't upload anything to imageshack...

Last edited:

ScOuT

VIP Member
I just bought my wife a Sony Vaio Netbook with Windows 7 starter edition. DON'T get it! You can do almost nothing with it. You cannot even change the desktop background. I would spend the little extra money and just get a copy of Windows 7 normal.

Drenlin

^ I knew it was bad...but that's just ridiculous! It's also capped at 2GB of RAM, btw.

Why couldn't they make it like Vista starter and just remove Aero?