I'm switching from Windows Vista to Mandriva Linux

simnor

I have got really annoyed over the past three months with Windows, especially Windows Vista and the whole company behind it, and I have vowed to move away from the familiar Windows which i have been using since i was at junior school (good old Windows 3.1). I have started a blog which will report on my journey, please visit and leave your opinions. (http://thelinuxconvert.wordpress.com/).
I want to know other peoples opinions on this, it is a big step to take and it is a decision which I am hoping will help others to do the same in the future. So take a look, favourite it, subscribe to the feed, keep coming back, totally ignore it if you want. Let the conversion begin...

heyman421

banned
there's a reason so many people use windows

unless you're just a very casual computer user, you'll be back

or at the very least dual booting

simnor

I will be dual booting, and i will maybe run windows xp in virtualisation software from within Linux but i will be doing this for only one reason and that is that i write software, for Windows and until i understand linux programming that will remain the case, but i will be using linux for everything else. I will never fully come back because of the principle of Microsoft's look on the computing world, all they want to do is dominate every part of it and i will not support that especially when they are just copying other companies and services rather than thinking of their own.

heyman421

banned
dude, do you think microsoft cares if you use windows 100% of the time or 2% of the time?

You're still using windows, you've accomplished nothing.

That's like buying a copy of windows, and then refusing to use it, like you're sticking it to the man. You've still given them their money, do you think they care whether you use it or not?

Get real, man.

You may as well just keep using windows, and switch to using freeware apps instead of purchasing commercial ones. There's absolutely no difference.

simnor

And that is exactly MS's problem, thats all they care about, money, they dont care if i am happy with the product or not. Linux has a massive community behind it where people dont care about money, they care about the user and that is what I want to be part of. If i could write programs for linux and get as many people use them as i do for windows then I would start writing linux apps, but i cant so for now, i will need to use windows to do it, i dont have a choice, apart from not write software, that would be my career out the window

heyman421

banned
Why'd you even make this thread? You just sound like an idiot.

Not only are you "making a stand against microsoft" by continuing to use Microsoft products.

But you also plan to embark in a career writing software for their operating system.

Nicely done.

simnor

You just sound like an idiot.

Cheers! I noticed today how nice Linux users are and the support they give you, an now I've noticed the difference between Windows users and Linux users, a linux user wouldn't call me an idiot

heyman421

banned
Dude, in the course of one paragraph you villainized microsoft for their interest in money, while at the same time insisting that you needed to base your own programming career in the windows market, in fear of lack of profitability otherwise.

You ARE an idiot. A linux user just wouldn't admit it, because they're probably all just as confused and greedy as yourself.

Last edited:

heyman421

banned
You want to switch to a FREE operating system, because microsoft is only interested in money.

While at the same time preparing to write your OWN software for windows, in order to make money.

That would be the textbook definition of greed. Taking and not giving.

You're a dreamer, man. You're not understanding how the world works. If everyone switched to the free operating system, there would be no money for you regardless of what operating system you write it for.

simnor

everybody has to make money in this world, thats how the world works, if that means that i write software for windows it is because that is where the market is, if linux had more users then i would write for linux, what will actually probably happen is that i will write for windows, linux and mac, and even if i was making money out of my software, i would at least write it for the user not the bank balance.

I dont agree with the fact that you think linux users are confused and greedy, call me greedy if you like, thats your opinion on me in a couple of posts on this thread, but i dont think linux users would be too impressed with you calling them confused and GREEDY.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i say good luck with your switch simnor,Ive been wanting to do it for a long time but i just realy didnt have the time or patients to learn how to use linux properly and plus im a gamer so like yourself would have to either Dual boot linux with Xp or use virtualisation software from within Linux.

there is a programme called parallels which allows you to run windows under linux and you can fast switch between them which is good.

However what concearned me is how much ram it would use up using parralels because been a gamer i like as much free memory as possible when gaming and as you can see i have a very low end system:D

patrickv

some of the members are discouraging simnor from switching. it's his choice.Like navakonaza said if you're a gamer it's better you use virtualisation but you need ram to run vm + your linux host. note that software won't be the same on linux if you're a newbie on mandriva go to www.mandriva.com .

hope your switch works cause mine did..lol!!!

PC eye

banned
Speaking of Mandriva I plan to be adding that to Solaris 10 on the XP Pro sata drive that follows after the XP Home primary ide multibooting with VIsta Home Premium. That will see 5 OSs on the system here. The one drawback having previously run Fedota and 98 along with XP on the old case was dsl! So I keep getting stuck running some MS version of an OS. Just find a good universal boot loader either installed into the Windows mbr or boot a good ubuntu boot manager floppy to choose the partition. That will then load the OS found on it. Have a floppy dirve? Maybe a bootable cd then.

_simon_

Wish you the best of luck with your switch, remember there is a learning curve, so don't beat yourself up if you install it and you're totally lost heh

Not used Mandriva myself, but heard good things about it.

there's a reason so many people use windows

unless you're just a very casual computer user, you'll be back

or at the very least dual booting

I'm not a casual user, yet I don't have Windows installed at all on this machine. I switched in November 2005.

The real reason that so many people use Windows is because it comes pre-installed on most machines. With Dell about to sell Linux pre-installed machines, this will probably change pretty soon.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
With Dell about to sell Linux pre-installed machines, this will probably change pretty soon.

realy :confused:

i didnt know they was gonna start doing that :p

Ive yet to try out Mandriva like you simon,My faverite distro would be Suse.

_simon_

Last edited:

codeman0013

I understand he is switching but according to the forum rules this thread can be considered spam. He was not asking for help or asking for advice in his switch his initial post was simply to say i'm switching and advertise his dang blog. He never says why he is fed up with vista or if he has even used it it sounds to me like he is just mad becuase he cannot afford vista and wants it. This thread should have been put into the general off topic chat as it has nothing to do with help or needing anything from anyone here and in my opinion it was started to simply get arguements out of users. This thread has been reported to the mods so we will see if it stays open or not..