Imaging Server Data

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
So I picket up two HP Proliant servers today from a friend (Vroom_skies to be exact). One is currently loaded with Red Hat Linux Enterprise. The other I'm not sure (didn't fire it up, but I'm assuming RH is also installed on there).

Anyway, I need to save the data on the drives. I'm thinking I should just make a backup image of the entire array and when needed, just dump it back on the server.

Thing is, I have no idea what software to use. The arrays use SCSI drives (I don't have a USB adapter bridge for SCSI like I do for IDE/SATA). I tried booting to an Acronis True Image disc, but the boot menu loads and then the video goes kapoot. Can't actually get into True Image. Also tried CloneZilla (to no avail also).

TL-DR Have 2 servers I need to image the arrays of (as a backup). How can I go about doing so?

Vipernitrox

The normal boot disks you'd use for this stuff only have "usual" drivers. The drivers needed for most server hardware isn't included. The only way i can think off is booting of another OS (from a usb drive or something) in which you can load the drivers. Then use an imaging tool installed in the OS to image the array drives.

Or you could try finding an enterprise imaging tool specifically designed for servers. You might have more luck using them.