IMB thinkpad a22e mem upgrade to 512 says only supports 256 but...

Committed

I've got 2 256mb sticks of low density pc100 ram for my old IBM thinkpad a22e 2655 series. I installed it and says maximum memory is 256mb and to remove excess memory. Everywhere I've read, it says this machine can take 512mb. What gives? I'm running ubuntu btw, not that it matters. And HI also. :)

From website:

Memory Upgrade for IBM ThinkPad A22e 2655 Laptop, the IBM ThinkPad A22e 2655 Laptop takes the PC100 SDRAM SODIMMs Memory Type, and comes installed with 64 MB (removable) of Memory. You can upgrade your IBM ThinkPad A22e 2655 Laptop to up to a maximum of 512 MB Memory, the system has 2 sockets to install Memory, already with 64 MB (removable) standard Memory installed. For best Laptop performance use the maximum amount of allowed Memory per slot for your Laptop.

Committed

Trying to enter bios but it locks at "entering SETUP".......

Screen reads at bootup:

640k system ram passed
511M Extended ram passed

UNSUPPORTED MEMORY CONFIGURATION: Maximum
memory size 256 mb. Shut down computer and remove extra memory.

Committed

well I found one site with complete specs for this dinosaur:

RAM
Installed Size 64 MB / 256 MB (max)
Technology SDRAM - non-ECC - 100 MHz
Form Factor SO DIMM 144-PIN

I suppose I'm stuck with 256 mb. :( At least this is just a spare computer I'm using to test ubuntu on. My main is a quad core, 4gig ram, blah blah blah kick a$$ machine.

Committed

Buy RAM from this website:
http://www.computermemoryoutlet.com/IBM-ThinkPad-A22e-memory.htm

It's more than likely the RAM you purchased was not compatible with your laptop. The link I just gave you has RAM that'll work with your laptop. :)

I got the right ram. It works with just one of the new 256's installed but won't accept both for 512. I found one site that has complete specs for this old machine and it has listed specs for memory(contradictory to all the sites selling memory for it)
RAM
Installed Size 64 MB / 256 MB (max)
Technology SDRAM - non-ECC - 100 MHz
Form Factor SO DIMM 144-PIN

Is there any way to update bios to accept more ram or is that a function of chipset that I am stuck with and no way to get 512 in it?