In need of a new IPS monitor for photo editing

EvanK

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted here, mainly because I've been busy with school, but now that I'm done until autumn I'm looking to spend a bit more time here.

Anyways, I'm looking to replace my aging (7 years old?) 17" Dell LCD monitor in favour of something newer, larger, higher resolution, with better viewing angles, and more accurate colours. I'm looking into IPS as opposed to TN because I do very little gaming, and having spot on calibrated colours and wide viewing angles are priorities to me, especially considering I do quite a bit of photo editing.

I'd like to keep it between $300 and $400 (about £200-£250), but as always cheaper is better. Something in the 24"-27" range should be a good size; I sit about 3 or 3.5 feet away from my monitor, but I still don't want to have to be physically moving my head to different parts of the display.

I was thinking of picking up a Dell Ultrasharp U2412M. It's gotten good reviews, and I like the aspect ratio, but I'm a little concerned that it's eIPS as opposed to sIPS. Is there a huge difference? Any better monitor recommendations?

BTW, does anybody know anything in regards to colour calibration? What should I be using to calibrate a monitor?

Thanks,
-Evan

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
IPS monitors (from what I understand) don't need to be color calibrated, as they already are from the factory.

I, just like you, am looking for a nice IPS monitor myself and was looking at the same UltraSharp, as I really like Dell panels. I was looking at both the 23" and 24" and would definitely choose either.

Okedokey

IPS monitors (from what I understand) don't need to be color calibrated, as they already are from the factory.

I, just like you, am looking for a nice IPS monitor myself and was looking at the same UltraSharp, as I really like Dell panels. I was looking at both the 23" and 24" and would definitely choose either.

This

EvanK

Thanks for the help so far, everyone. Does anyone know the difference between sonething like eIPS and regular IPS? Is it true that eIPS isn't true IPS? How much if a difference does it make?