In need of help.

Rickymadeja

I am fifteen years old, And recently aquired a used computer from a friends mother, she bought a new one, and gave me her old one.
I booted it up, everyhting worked properly. It came with 512kb (2 x 256kb) of DDR, I believe. I removed one of them, and replaced it with a single 512kb stick, I then closed it up, and went to sleep, The next day, I went to turn it on, and I had no input on my monitor. My mouse and Keyboard went through the usual lighting up when turned on, and then went off. I checked the moition,Keyboard, and Mouse on my sisters laptop. I made sure everything was plugged in to the correct ports.

I have no clue what the problem may be, seeing as I am pretty new at working with computers.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

My email is [email protected]
Or, you could just reply on here.

Thank you.

Verve

Does the computer start up and boot into Windows when you turn it on? Or does it just flash on and then turn off?

Try putting the original ram back in. Some more specs would be helpful too.

Rickymadeja

I forgot to Add, Yes, I returned to original Ram.
i am not exactly sure what it does, the computer stays on, But I have no input or output.
I recall reading somewhere that static electricity discharged onto the motherboard or any other of the inner workings can cause something to go wrong.

That might be it, But I doubt it, When I removed the side panel, It had to have discharged by touching it.

Rickymadeja

I think I may have figured it out.

I am fairly sure it is the motherboard. It could not possibly be anyhting else.

concorde

Possible causes: You must have forgotten to discharge yourself from static electricity by either wearing an ESD (electrostatic discharge) strap or keeping a steady hand on the frame. There is no hope for fried components fried by static electricity.

Also, you mentioned 512 kb -- kb is a Kilobyte--that number is too small for any newer versions of Windows as well as any modern system components, such as video cards, BIOS, processor and such. KB is in the days of MSDOS and Windows 1, 2 and 3/Windows For Workgroups.

Another problem could be that you are using different name brands of RAM modules. Most motherboard chipsets/BIOS doesn't care about it, but there are a few out there that will throw a fit if you use two identical RAM chips from different manufacturers.

Last possibility: Did you insert the modules in the right direction and insert them gently? Are they fully secure into the slot?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
You must have forgotten to discharge yourself from static electricity by either wearing an ESD (electrostatic discharge) strap or keeping a steady hand on the frame. There is no hope for fried components fried by static electricity.

Ha. Holding onto the frame won't do squat. Touching a ATX PSU won't do squat. I have built and rebuilt many computers, and never discharged myself. Not one failure, at all.

Also, you mentioned 512 kb -- kb is a Kilobyte--that number is too small for any newer versions of Windows as well as any modern system components, such as video cards, BIOS, processor and such. KB is in the days of MSDOS and Windows 1, 2 and 3/Windows For Workgroups.

Use some common sense. No doubt he means MB.

Another problem could be that you are using different name brands of RAM modules. Most motherboard chipsets/BIOS doesn't care about it, but there are a few out there that will throw a fit if you use two identical RAM chips from different manufacturers.

If it worked before, why not work now? And that still doesn't explain the problem with one stick only.

Last possibility: Did you insert the modules in the right direction and insert them gently? Are they fully secure into the slot?

He would probably notice it not "click"ing in when he placed them in...

Rickymadeja

Possible causes: You must have forgotten to discharge yourself from static electricity by either wearing an ESD (electrostatic discharge) strap or keeping a steady hand on the frame. There is no hope for fried components fried by static electricity.

My apoligies, I did mean Megabyte.

Due to lack of knowledge I am going to hand over the computer to my friends uncle, who built the computer.

The help was and is appreciated.