in need of help

dj icea

my computer is running slow i.e. programs take quite a long time to load etc so i recently purchased a 250gb internal hard-dirve in the slave and not much difference.(by the way i already have a 80gb hard-drive in the system). i currently have 256mb of ram so what do you people think i should purchase to make the computer faster. it also goes slow when more then 1 user logs on and i need it to be fast as i have a program on one of the accounts that needs to be running 24/7 buts keeps on closing i think its due to the fact that the cpu is at 100% most of the time thanks i need help very quick

RoBo07

What is the processor in the system? That 250gb drive would do very little to help speed. XP will run slowly on 256mb therfore if you have a spare RAM slot then you should put a 512mb stick in it. If your CPU is at 100% then that will be the bottleneck. You should try runnning the performance console from Administrative Tools to see what you should upgrade.

StrangleHold

Staff member
You definitely need more ram, 256mb is not much anymore if your running 2000-XP. Have you done a disk cleanup and defraged in awhile? Run a virus and Spyware scan.