Inbox 100% full ?

Robert 7

Hi all
I am using Mozilla Thunderbird for my email program, and just lately on the bottom bar where it shows the information on how many emails there are to read, etc, the square sometimes goes Red and shows 100% full, when I click onto it: it says the Inbox is FULL, Usage 17818619KB of 178257792KB full, yet at the moment I only have three emails in the inbox.
It seems that the KB's are being saved? in some way, can anybody tell me how to reduce the space back to normal? regards Robert.

Robert 7

Hi, thanks for your help, I was able to follow the pictorial instructions and checked the "empty trash on exit" and next I followed the instructions and cleared the "recent history" but after a reboot the trash still shows 99% full, where do I find the "Profile folder" in order to delete the "global-messages-db.sqlite" Regards Robert

Agent Smith

It's in app data of your user name in your computer. Look for the Thunderbird folder. You will have to show hidden files under folder options in the control panel of your computer. Not sure if that's the same for Win 10 or not. I use 7. But an even easier way is to use Everything.exe and search for global-messages-db.sqlite. Do make sure you copy and paste it to the desktop first as a back up in case something goes arye.

If you use everything.exe you can turn off indexing for your hard drive and increase some performance. To do that, right click the HDD.

https://www.voidtools.com/

Robert 7

Hi Agent Smith
thank's for the guidance, my system is win7 pro, I have tried typing from the start button Everything.exe and %everything.exe% and nothing came up, I also tried typing global-messages-db.sqlite and still nothing, I then searched for instructions on how to find the T'Bird folder and came up with a suggestion to type c:\users\robert\appdata\local which shows a Local folder and in it the T'Bird folder and inside that a Profiles folder and in it a JJJy7sO.Default folder with sub folders called Cache, Cache.Trash, Cach2 Safebrowsing, and StartupCache etc, but nothing inside any of them anything like a Global Massages-db file.
Or am I being thick and looking in the wrong place, regards Robert

Agent Smith

Or am I being thick and looking in the wrong place, regards Robert

I would say so. I gave you a link in my post above. That will have the download to Everything.exe. Use THAT to search for the Thunderbird database file. But like I mentioned. Once found, copy and paste it to your desktop then delete it in the Thunderbird profile just in case something goes wrong. I don't forsee that, but better safe than sorry.

Robert 7

Hi A.S Its beginning to dawn now, I did look at the link but couldn't quite figure out what it was, now that I have it installed it looks a great program.
After opening "Everything" I could not find anything under T'bird or Mozilla or a profile folder, but I did find the Global-messages-db.sqlite in the G section, and copied it to the D'top, I did not delete it yet until I have told you what I have done, as I want to make sure its the file I am looking for.
If things did go awry what would be the process of returning the file on the D'top to its rightful place? Regards Robert.
Ps I noticed some email addresses which I had deleted long ago so I deleted them from the list I hope that's ok, and have now found a FireBird Cache, is that a type of History? and although I now use Chrome I was wondering if I delete the Cache would I be able to use F'bird if I needed to?

Agent Smith

If you typed in
Code:
Global-messages-db.sqlite
into Everything.exe and found it, copied it to your desktop, then you can delete the one listed in Everything.exe. There will be two listed though. Note the path. One will say it's in desktop and the other path will say something like C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\uigg6asd.default

See where it says AppData in the path? That's the one in your Thunderbird. Delete that one by right clicking on it in Everything.exe and selecting delete.

hrPR5uC.jpg

If you need to put Global-messages-db.sqlite back to it's location in the profile of Thunderbird I can tell you how to do that.

Last edited:

Robert 7

Hi again, yes I have done that and deleted the file in the way you have shown, there were 3 global files showing and 2 would be shortcuts, while one would be to the desktop shortcut which I made.
After a reboot I clicked onto the "Inbox" and it still shows 100% full, I went through the process again and the Global-messages file had come back.

I have 2 email addresses in Thunderbird so next I clicked onto my other email address inbox in the same way by clicking the Inbox box and selecting Properties, and from the Folder Properties box "Quota" and I get the message "This info is not available because the folder is not open" I wonder if the second address inbox could be confusing things? Regards Robert.

Attachments

• Global-messages-db-sqlite after a reboot.jpg
    Global-messages-db-sqlite after a reboot.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 2nd email address.jpg
    2nd email address.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 4

Agent Smith

Where does it say it's 100% full? I see in your second screen shot 11 and 15 messages respectively.

I'm not sure about the quota. Have you updated Thunderbird at all? I'm wondering if it's corrupt.

Yes, the Global-messages-db.sqlite will be recreated.

Last edited:

Robert 7

Hi Agent Smith, thanks for your help, I have appended another screen shot showing the 100% full shown in Blue in the folder properties "Quota" tab, it also shows in Red on the task bar at the bottom of the screen.

I haven't seen an update button on this email program, I have always had trouble with thunderbird and about 3 months ago I uninstalled it and downloaded another program and reinstalled it, but I still get the same mail in both accounts.
Unfortunately I don't have much success with email progs as I have tried several others and have never been able to get them to work as they should, I have had most success with this Thunderbird although I do want a program which will support 3 different email addresses
Regards Robert

Attachments

• 100% full.jpg
    100% full.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 5

Robert 7

Hi A.S, I have checked that my emails are sending and they are listed in the sent folder, and as the screen shot shows I do receive several mails a day, although I am not sure what you mean about bouncing? I have had a look at the link you kindly sent and I have learned that Google drive can effect the email storage, and as I have recently added Google Drive to my PC for photo storage, and it shows 17Gb of 17 Used now I do wonder if that is causing the problem? as when I open the G'drive folder it only shows a few txt files in there and no photos yet it shows as full, so I think its a good idea to remove G'drive from my PC and find something else, thanks again, regards Robert.

Robert 7

Hi again, another update for you, Google Drive and Gmail must be linked in some way as I have found and deleted a lot of photos, and this morning the inbox showed 68% full and now it is showing 34% full, regards Robert

Agent Smith

Cool. It does look like G Drive is connected to your E-mail.

Bouncing means that the E-mail "bounced" and never got sent to your inbox.

Robert 7

Hi Agent Smith, I have uninstalled G'drive and the inbox is now showing 0% full so that is something learned for future reference, many thanks for your guidance and help.
I will call the problem solved although I cannot find a solved button. Regards Robert.