incrasing shrink space for a partition

I recently tried to split my drive into two volumes for a vista install and a 7 beta install. under disk management, I was only able to increase shrink space to around 60 megs, not near enough for a partition for another OS. I read that windows will cut short the space available whenever it comes across a file in use by windows. I was told that a defragmentation, and chkdisk would possibly fix this. i tried both, neither worked. It was also recommended that I try a third party program to partition such as partition magic. Same problem. What could i possibly do to prevent this from happening? would booting in safe mode make any difference?

chey

I recently tried to split my drive into two volumes for a vista install and a 7 beta install. under disk management, I was only able to increase shrink space to around 60 megs, not near enough for a partition for another OS. I read that windows will cut short the space available whenever it comes across a file in use by windows. I was told that a defragmentation, and chkdisk would possibly fix this. i tried both, neither worked. It was also recommended that I try a third party program to partition such as partition magic. Same problem. What could i possibly do to prevent this from happening? would booting in safe mode make any difference?

Hello.

I don't trust Partition Magic since it couldn't repair my damaged partition table. I suggest you using Parted Magic Live: it is a modified Debian live CD which has powerful applications to repair and recover even damaged partitions. It can handle any FAT and NTFS file systems and it is very-very easy to use.
First you have to run scandisk/chkdisk and defrag in Windows. After that reboot the pc with Parted Magic Live and try to shrink your partition. If you cannot do that, than there might be a minimum limit for the partition size.

Greetings: Dani

7angofragger

yea if i were you i would just wipe vista off.... after using windows 7 i will never go back... but yeah... theres a really nice live cd called hirens boot cd... go to somewhere like www.torrentz.com and search for "hirens boot cd" i think the newest version is 10... it had about 10 partition tools on the cd...