Inexperienced Computer Shopper

Okendoze

New Member
Hey, all. Just joined up. I'm hoping the forum can help me decide what to buy. All of the computers I've owned were given to me, so I've never really purchased one brand new. I'd like to get the best I can get for my budget which is $1,600-$1,700 USD. So far, the best I've come up with is a $1,530 custom build at CyberPowerPC.com. I'll post the specs below. I have several questions:

- Where can I shop for the best deals?
- Can I get something better than what I've put together at CyberPowerPC for $1,530?
- Is my CyberPowerPC build... erm... good? (Check out the configuration options here.)


My CyberPowerPC build:
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos Silent Gaming Tower
Power Supply: 600 Watts Xion SuperNova
Motherboard: MSI P6N Diamond nForce 680i SLI
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz
Cooling: CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Sytem
RAM: 4GB PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 1GB
HDD: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM
Optical: LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 32-Bit
Monitor: 22" ViewSonic VA2226W Widescreen WSXGA 1680x1050

Includes:
$7 Keyboard
$5 Mouse
Onboard sound and networking
PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card
Internal 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer
FREE all-purpose briefcase
FREE T-Shirt
FREE Microsoft Flight Simulator X game
 
Hmm. I'd prefer a custom build, but I'll take a peek.

If you don't know how to build a computer yourself then newegg is not for you. Newegg is for the computer enthusiasts that know how to build computers from case up.
 
Are you looking at build your own?

For your choice of component:
PSU: Consair 650W
GPU : 8800GT 512MB is enough. But I think it may be better to go for Asus P5K + HD4850
OS: 64bit OS, or you can't utilize 4GB RAM
 
John, I'm not bad when it comes to building them. I'm just not sure which are the best components and where I can get them for the smallest price.

Daisy, thanks for that. I never did know the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit. Could you explain?
 
ATI HD4850 512MB ($200) performance ~ 9800GTX
P5K is a X38 chipset Mobo. Can run Crossfire at full speed if you want.

I don't know if you realise, 8800GT 512MB is now down to $130 after MIR @ newegg.
looking at the price from CyberPowerPC, seems overpriced.

And if you decide to use ATI HD4850, there is no point to use 680i chipset Mobo as you don't SLi. If you decide to run single video card, you may choose P35 chipset Mobo.

However, I do recommend you build PC yourself, it save a lot $$
 
Really? Some people told me that it's cheaper to buy a built computer because the manufacturers get components cheap.

Do you recommend I buy individual components from Newegg and build the PC at home?
 
I went to Newegg and filled the shopping cart with all of the components in my CyberPowerPC build and Newegg's price is around $30 more, not to mention the free shipping that CyberPower offers. I think I will order from CyberPower.

I'd still like some more opinions, however.
 
cyberpower seems to have been doing that lately, with the gamers ultimate version i guess, its like 500 dollars cheaper, just try upgrading some things on it and then add those things to the cart on newegg to see how well they compair
 
I've done that. Most of the components of my build are better than those of the default build and still CyberPower is cheaper. The only upside I see to using Newegg is having a greater variety of components and brands to choose from.
 
Really? Some people told me that it's cheaper to buy a built computer because the manufacturers get components cheap.

Do you recommend I buy individual components from Newegg and build the PC at home?

That's only apply with low-end non-gaming PC. Like HP/ Acer/ Dell, you could find their low-end $600 - 700 all inclusive package (with monitors, keyboard, speaker) are quite good in value. But you can't use it to play game.
 
I've done that. Most of the components of my build are better than those of the default build and still CyberPower is cheaper. The only upside I see to using Newegg is having a greater variety of components and brands to choose from.

Are you sure? When you compare component to component, they may cheaper. But for the same amount of money, building it yourself could always find better alternative.

Here is the list I come up with in newegg.

E8400 (Not worth to pay extra for 0.16 GHz)
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro
DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R
Patriot Viper 2 x 2GBDDR2 800 PVS24G6400LLK
HIS Hightech H485F512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB x 2
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB
LG 20X DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH20NS10 - OEM
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP
Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium OEM
ASUS VW222U Black 22" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP support - Retail

Total: $1592, MIR $70 = $1522.

This machine should out-perform the cyberpc one
 
Last edited:
Really? Some people told me that it's cheaper to buy a built computer because the manufacturers get components cheap.

Do you recommend I buy individual components from Newegg and build the PC at home?

Yeah, manufacturers build it cheap and sell it high enough as you roof! Going to newegg and buy invidual parts may be of the same price but you will have super computer of the same price! :cool::cool::cool:
 
Back
Top