Info Please :)

jmoak

I am going to be building a computer soon and just wanted a like advice/info from you guys. This is going to be my first build so I could use a little help on what items to choose. I have about a $1000-$1200 spending limit give or take a little. Heres what I had in mind so far

Intel Core™ 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz = $297.00
Asus P5B-E Intel® P965 Express Motherboard = $180.00
GeIL Ultra 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) = $220.00
I'm thinking I can do something better then that on the RAM

Please feel free to add or remove items or suggest a better product or cheaper price.

I also need
Case
PowerSupply
Videocard
HDD (thinking about 400GB Sata)
Dual Layer DVD-RW

PC eye

banned
You can do a lot better on ram for sure then going with GEIL! Choosing memory also depends on what type of system you are planning there. If you are planning a gaming rig and ocing some then a brand brand of performance memory would be the thing to look at. For desktop applications, occasional gaming, and basic stock use you could go with 2gb of a high quaily value ram.

jmoak

Okay, say if I want to go the gaming route. What would you recommend for the RAM? Should I get more than 2GB's? Also any videocard suggestions? What about the CPU and MoBo? Are those decent or can I do better price or performance wise?

SlothX311

Okay, say if I want to go the gaming route. What would you recommend for the RAM? Should I get more than 2GB's? Also any videocard suggestions? What about the CPU and MoBo? Are those decent or can I do better price or performance wise?

crucial balistics is amazing stuff, kingston is good too, and i think 2gb is plenty

8800 is the best card for the money, but pretty pricey .... 7950gt is a very good buy for the money in my book

cpu and mobo look good mate :D

lincsman

I would recommend corsair brand for memory, and I would also recommend AMD if you want to do gaming, but that's not a huge suggestion I'm sure the intel CPU is fine. A lot of people I know upgrade from duo 7600 or 7950 to an 8800, so if I was you I would start off with the 8800, but only if you have the money. I'm not sure if I would bother with dual SLI, I would recommend just getting a nicer card.

PC eye

banned
The reviews seen on SLI and Crossfire setups alike lately down play the lack of any performance gain seen according to benchmarks. Besides the always recommend NVidia limitation seen you can also look at the ATI X1950XT model or better yet if cash is available the soon to come R500 series cards bound to leave the 8800 as well as the other models named in the dust!

For 2gb of performance memory you have a few good choices to consider. Corsair's XMS series memory has always had a gamer in mind. OCers on older systems anyways liked Mushkin. Kingston's HyperX line also goes well. For the premium brand with the "premium price" along with it OCZ gets the grade.

zaroba

something else to look at is future upgradability.
although that motherboard has plenty of room for hard drives, it doesn't have duel 16bit pci express slots. means later on if you want to upgrade the video hardware, you'd have to buy a new more expensive card. if it had duel 16 bit slots, then later on, when your current card goes down in price, you could buy a 2nd one and SLI them together.

only real issue i see with the case is that it only has 3 internal hard drive bays. if you want to toss in some older ones or add more, you'll be somewhat limited unless you replace the drives or use the other bays, but that would cut down on other possible additions (cd rom, fan controllers, etc). the case being a mid tower might result in cramped space from all the wires if you fill it with drives.

Last edited:

jmoak

Okay here are my final picks. Please let me know if I should change anything.
The only thing i'm not sure on is the power supply. Is a 550W enough? I also wanna get a HHD & burner but will probably do that later. I have something I can use for now. Also is it a good idea to get a fan controller? Not sure on how these work but i have a main idea. Would I hook it up to the fans that come with the case? Or just any extra fans I decide to add?

Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-BA Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

eVGA 512-P2-N637-AR GeForce 7950GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP KO Superclocked Video Card

Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W SLI Ready-ATX 12V V2.01 Power Supply

OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

ASUS P5B Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor

Grand total of $1,175.17 W/Shipping

Thanks everyone for all your help. I hope my system turns out nicely

jmoak

After a few more changes and about 400 more dollars I have come up with this system. Let me know what you think, I may still need to make some changes depending on my girlfriends reaction to the price tag. :)

Total = $1,538.40 W/Shipping :D

*ASUS P5B Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
*Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor
*ZALMAN 9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
*CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
*eVGA 512-P2-N637-AR GeForce 7950GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
*Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W SLI Ready-ATX 12V V2.01 Power Supply
*Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
*HP 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With LightScribe, 12X DVD-RAM Write
*LINKSKEY LKA-CR15BW 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal 3.5" USB Card Reader
*Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-BA Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
*Arctic Silver CMQ-22G The high-density, ceramic-based thermal compound
*Thermaltake A2018 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Retail
*Titan TTC-HD12 Deluxe HDD Cooler
*Link Depot DVI to DVI Cable
*Creative 7300000000175 USB RF Wireless Keyboard

PC eye

banned
I readily have to agree with joeswm8 on dumping that Rosewill cheapie! Going with a good stable supply means going with a good name. OCZ offers a universal power connection scheme on their models as well. Don't go for a garbage supply if you don't want to see garbage results!