Information on building a computer

Cyberspanner

Hello everyone! I am going to be completely honest with you here, I am 13 years of age and i have a strong ambition to build a gaming computer for myself. I have already done a weeks research on hardware, software and computers in general. I am looking for a computer that includes say a 2TB hard drive and a good Intel processor like an i5 quad core with hyper-threading. Also a good graphics card, for good quality gaming. I have set a budget from anywhere between 500-900 euros which comes to about 600-1100 dollars. Do you guys think this project is to complicated for me? As i find the process of building the computer and installing the software easy to follow learn and do. I am quite smart and when i get a interest in something i usually will research about it until i know the in's and out's of it. So what do you guys think? I am only asking as a friend of my mothers Has built computers before and found it quite complicated and daunting, however this was back in the early 2000's and i have heard that building a computer has got easier by then. So what do u guys think and if you think it is a good idea, if at all possible state some components that would give good performance for gaming. Thank You:)

Thanks everyone for the quick and very helpful information! Thanks also ninja for the part picking much appreciated couldn't of done it better myself!

Last edited:

ninjabubbles3

Hey mate, good to see another 13 year old!

I put together my build around two months ago, and have been planning for the better part of a year

Building a computer is super easy, the planning is harder

Here is a list of good parts

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9V8ssY

Plus a case you like. Good cases include stuff by Corsair, NZXT, or Fractal Design, but pick anything you like

NeweggTV has a very good video on how to build a computer

Hope you will go through with the project!

What games do you play?

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Yeah you can easily do it. Build list Ninja made up looks good. Don't forget about an Operating System and a disc drive if you'll need one.

tylerjrb

Building a PC is pretty easy, just watch a few good videos and do some research before you tackle it. Take your time with it making sure everything is secure, fitted correctly etc. After all everyone here built a PC for the first time at some point.

But that seems like a perfect build ninja has given you and will fit your needs perfectly. I'd just make sure you get a good quality case with plenty of room and cable management. Something a long the lines of a corsair 450d 550d, nzxt h440 etc. corsair, nzxt, cooler master, bitfenix do quality cases.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I'm still really mad Geoff cleaned out his photobucket and deleted his "How to Build a PC" pictures. That was one of the best guides ever.

Maybe when I strip down my PC for it's annual cleaning at the end of the month I'll take pictures.

C4C

I'm still really mad Geoff cleaned out his photobucket and deleted his "How to Build a PC" pictures. That was one of the best guides ever.

Maybe when I strip down my PC for it's annual cleaning at the end of the month I'll take pictures.

I'm about to build mine... Want me to take pictures?

C4C

SHIZ. I FORGOT ABOUT THE PICTURES.

I snapped a few between but not at every step...

I also forgot that I was supposed to make a guide to post on YouTube.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Cyberspanner

Components websites?

Hello all! Since i live in Ireland I have little Access to Buying components in a shop and my local computer shop is said to be faulty. So could anyone recommend a reliable components website that would ship to Ireland for a cheap price? Ive been on websites like Newegg and PC part picker but I'm not sure what the shipping prices will come to. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

netrick

Question: You mention wanting the i5 quad core with hyper-threading. Does Intel make one? I found only the i5-4570T Processor but Intel shows 2 cores on their spec sheet.
http://ark.intel.com/products/75045/Intel-Core-i5-4570T-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

I'd be interested to know if they have other i5 processors with hyper-threading.

Good for you on contemplating building your own computer. It can be very rewarding and will certainly teach you a lot about the technology. Beware though that you may become the go-to person when friends and relatives have issues with their computer. :)

ninjabubbles3

Pentium are dual core
i3s are dual core with hyper threading
i5s are quad core
I7s are quad core with hyper threading, but sometimes with more cores

ninjabubbles3

Anything by a good company like NZXT, Corsair, Fractal Design, Silverstone should be fine.

Just pick one you like and read a couple reviews.

Personally, I like the NZXT H440 or the Fractal Design Define R5

ReMiXeDg

i picked this one up recently in the states from newegg:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-135-NX

I must say the texture around it feels very good. and its very easy to do just about anything to it. easy to take fully apart and you can strip this case down like a skeleton to work on it. I cant wait to get it fully up with leds. good luck with your build do come back and share a photo of the finish outcome please.

there are many nice cases you just have to take your time and look at them and see which one works you can always do mod for cooling what not.