Inop optical drive

springcanyon

Greetings,

I built a new computer - works great. I removed an old Asus disk drive from the old computer and plugged it into the new computer mother board and power supply. The drive seems to operate, the computer sees the drive, but says, "empty," even though I have a disk inserted. The disk is from the game, "Riven." I went to the Asus site and looked for drivers, but cannot locate this drive in their driver data base. Perhaps it is just too old. About 10 years, I'm guessing. Maybe I should just buy a new optical drive?

Thanks in advance
Don Owens

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If it says empty then the eye that reads disks is bad and you just need to buy a new one. Or its possible that its only a cd drive and you have a dvd inserted.

springcanyon

Then as I said, if its 10 years old, the eye has probably died.
Yes, you are probably right - a new drive is cheap enough. But...if I attempt to run the program manually: F:/setup.exe I get a message that says, "This app can't run on your computer, check with the publisher." Maybe that is true, but now I wonder why.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried any other cd's in it? I checked to see what riven was, are you sure its not the mac version which probably won't run on windows?

springcanyon

Have you tried any other cd's in it? I checked to see what riven was, are you sure its not the mac version which probably won't run on windows?
Good suggestion; I just tried a music CD in the drive and it works perfectly. I also removed an old (maybe 10 years) video card from the old computer and that may be the problem. I was just reading about "direct x12" This video card may not be direct x capable. I'm talking above my head here. The Riven version I have talks of Windows 95; I'm running Windows 10.

springcanyon

Try and update the firmware: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/OD..._102.zip?_ga=1.20535035.2113248394.1488750580

Then go to disk management and see what the cd shows up as
Hello Okedokey,

Okay, I did that. It appears the drive sees the Riven CD but it won't play. My video card is really old: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS. I checked and it is no longer supported by Nvidia. Maybe the solution is a new video card. Anyway, that is all the time I have for today. Thanks for your suggestion.

Don Owens

mistersprinkles

I'd suggest installing Win 95 on a virtual machine and trying to access the drive through that. You'll probably need it to run the game anyways.