Input on New Computer Build Please

Guardian01

I've been learning about building computers for a while, and I'm looking to build my first one. I'd like some feedback from the pros on cf.

mobo: EVGA Classified

cpu: Intel i7

gpu: EVGA GeForce GTX 275

ram: Corsair Dominator 3 x 2gb

some of the other items i plan to get is

keyboard: Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

mouse: Logitech Performance MX

cpu cooler: Cooler Master cpu cooler

and this will all go inside a Cooler Master HAF 932 which i already own, powered by a thermaltake purepower 600w psu that i already own. i also own a 28" hannspree monitor and 26" westinghouse monitor that i will use. i plan to run 64-bit windows 7. i'm also planning on overclocking it as much i can as i've been learning about it a lot lately.

this build is meant to be used for games mostly, but also as an effective computer to run autocad, photoshop, and autodesk revit renderings. i don't have a budget limit per se, but i'm not rich either; i just want to do this right. i tried to pick components that seemed to be a "top shelf" item

thanks for your help in advance

Fatback

VIP Member
may i ask why these would be better? i don't know much about computers so forgive me. for gpu i don't know much further than looking at the memory size and max resolution supported

The 4890 performs a little better then the GTX 275 it also overclocks better and like said before it's cheaper about $100 cheaper. The 5850 is a next gen card it is more powerful then either of the other two and it power is only beaten by 4 other cards. The 5850 would be you best bet since it is cheaper then the GTX 275 you was gonna get and is a lot better.

linkin

VIP Member
Plus, the 5850 has DirectX11. Even though no games on the market currently support it, it's a nice feature to have. Ati's 5xxx cards also have eyefinity; you can use up to 6 monitors at once for gaming and other applications.

Guardian01

i think you guys have me convinced of the 5850. but when i type in "ati 5850" i get 6 results of similar price range and stats made from powercolor, gigabyte, xfx, msi, his, and sapphire. are they all the same or do i need a specific one?

StrangleHold

Staff member
The 4890 performs a little better then the GTX 275 it also overclocks better and like said before it's cheaper about $100 cheaper.

I like the 4890 too, but lets not go overboard. Get real, overall the GTX 275 beats the 4890 on stock clocks. Plus its not 100 bucks higher. I would say about maybe 20 bucks higher in general.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/04/03/radeon-hd-4890-vs-geforce-gtx-275/1

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/04/03/radeon-hd-4890-vs-geforce-gtx-275/18

Plus like Bodaggit23 said the processor will not fit the board. Instead of everybody laying down and praying to the 4890 (unjustified) they should have made sure the build would even work!!

Last edited:

Fatback

VIP Member
I like the 4890 too, but lets not go overboard. Get real, overall the GTX 275 beats the 4890 on stock clocks. Plus its not 100 bucks higher. I would say about maybe 20 bucks higher in general.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/04/03/radeon-hd-4890-vs-geforce-gtx-275/1

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/04/03/radeon-hd-4890-vs-geforce-gtx-275/18

Plus like Bodaggit23 said the processor will not fit the board. Instead of everyboard laying down and praying to the 4890 (unjustified) they should have made sure the build would even work!!

Really they are both about the same and the performance difference is not even enough to really notice. Also if you would look again then you would see that the GTX 275 he posted is $295 that is $100 more then the $195 4890.

I never clicked on the links it said i7 a just assumed it was the 920. I still haven't got used to the new CPU being out yet and they skip my mind often.

StrangleHold

Staff member
The GTX 275 he posted is a 1792MB model.

Plus there is some 4890s with 1GB. that even cost more. I like ATI too but the GTX 275 with 896MB. of memory compared to 1GB. for the 4890 beats the 4890 more then it loses. If it wasnt for the 20 bucks price difference in general nobody would give a crap about the 4890.

The 4850 overall gets beat by the GTS 250
The 4870 is the equal to the GTX 260
The 4890 overall gets beat by the GTX 275

And you can find them at no more then a few bucks difference then each other. Most of the ATIs that you can find cheaper, (are made cheaper) Old liqiud filled caps and old iron Chokes, just poorer quality cards.

Guardian01

sorry for the mix up. i meant to post the i7 920 link. i was looking at them both and got the wrong one.

and thanks for the input so far

JakeUSMC

the gtx 275 like the 295 is a power hungry card, counting the want for OCing the computer, once built, you're going to need a larger amount of power i would say another 150 watts... i believe the i7 takes up about 140 watts at regular pace and the gpu requires like 200 to 300 watts... add the ocing in youre looking at a power hungry machine

JakeUSMC

and to clear up the little argument about ati/nvidia.... both cards work better at different things... a good seller for ati is sapphire... the 275 has high core temps btw... so if one is going to have it in their computer one would be wise to add some extra cooling... or expect higher ambient temperatures... the 4890 isnt the greatest card... i say buy a gtx260 or 4870 and wait until they make a 5870 x2....

Fatback

VIP Member
The GTX 275 he posted is a 1792MB model.

Plus there is some 4890s with 1GB. that even cost more. I like ATI too but the GTX 275 with 896MB. of memory compared to 1GB. for the 4890 beats the 4890 more then it loses. If it wasnt for the 20 bucks price difference in general nobody would give a crap about the 4890.

The 4850 overall gets beat by the GTS 250
The 4870 is the equal to the GTX 260
The 4890 overall gets beat by the GTX 275

And you can find them at no more then a few bucks difference then each other. Most of the ATIs that you can find cheaper, (are made cheaper) Old liqiud filled caps and old iron Chokes, just poorer quality cards.

We have had the debate many times now. There are 1000 differnt review saying the 4890 is better. Then there are 1000 review saying the GTX 275 is better. To me I wouldn't buy either one if I was looking for a new Graphics card.

and to clear up the little argument about ati/nvidia.... both cards work better at different things... a good seller for ati is sapphire... the 275 has high core temps btw... so if one is going to have it in their computer one would be wise to add some extra cooling... or expect higher ambient temperatures... the 4890 isnt the greatest card... i say buy a gtx260 or 4870 and wait until they make a 5870 x2....

Why wait for a 5870x2 the 5870 is more then enough. The 5870 would last 5+years before it would have any problems. I say get a 5850 and add another later.