Inspiron meets Brute force...

The laptop in ? was in an altercation with its owner, the owner won. He managed to punch the LCD, banged on the keyboard, and then took it outside and slammed it on the concrete a couple of times. After all this, now he wants to recover everything that was on the hard drive.

Is it possible? I mean when we turn it on, obviously you can't see anything on the screen, the only thing I hear a couple of beeps, which I was told means that the drive is not recognized. Is there any other way to retrieve that data? Does it have to go to a "clean room", don't know what that means heard it from a computer repair guy.

It is a Dell Inspirion 5100 I think

4W4K3

VIP Member
Wow, next time remove what you need from it before it is brutally beaten to death.

If the harddrive isn't damaged it's possibl to get the data off using another laptop or even a desktop computer. Remove the harddrive from the laptop firstly.

Then get something similiar to this http://shop.store.yahoo.com/laptopsforless/25to35laphar.html
It's a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter for laptop harddrives to be used in a desktop. Once you get it plugged in, set it as a slave drive through windows and then copy over any files u need.

If you have a laptop that can take more than 1 harddrive, you could also do it this way on another laptop. However most only take extra USB/Firewire HDD's.