install sp1 win7 faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

genek

How to install sp1 for win7 faster? Can you disable some options maybe creating uninstall option?

genek

How would that increase installation speed?
If you don't need to copy every file for uninstall purpose it should be faster and you don't waste disk space :)
Slipstream is not an option. I want to install only sp not entire windows.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
OK what exactly are you wanting to do? Fresh install win 7 sp1 on a blank hard drive or upgrade original version of 7 to sp1? If upgrading from original version of sp1 then what hardware do you have?

Intel_man

VIP Member
even if i change hardware i'll need to reinstall entire windows
Not really... you can always clone the drive to the new one (preferably it was a SSD), then you can just continue as normal and upgrade to the SP1 without reinstalling.

genek

OK what exactly are you wanting to do? Fresh install win 7 sp1 on a blank hard drive or upgrade original version of 7 to sp1? If upgrading from original version of sp1 then what hardware do you have?
I want to upgrade win 7 to sp1 and I won't buy any new hardware. I have intel core i5-4430, 4GB ram, radeon hd6770

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you are having issues with 7, upgrading to sp1 should only take 30 minutes or so on our hardware. I don't understand what the problem is....

genek

I have it on hdd
i have this one windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe Maybe it's wrong one and it tries to download something? I know from experience that ms downloading aps are sh*t

Darren

Staff member
I use WSUSOffline at work to force Windows updates on fresh installs of 7 since MS is screwing around with their 7 update servers. Works pretty well and sure beats waiting 1-2 days for Windows Update to pick them up on its own.

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I use WSUSOffline at work to force Windows updates on fresh installs of 7 since MS is screwing around with their 7 update servers. Works pretty well and sure beats waiting 1-2 days for Windows Update to pick them up on its own.

http://download.wsusoffline.net/
You wanna know a secret?

Install your desired version of Windows 7.
Enable automatic updates and just let it sit and do its thing.
Install anything else you want on the system (except drivers).
Sysprep the installation and capture it using ImageX or DISM.
When you need to rebuild a computer, just use that image to reinstall Windows. No need to wait for updates, and because it's sysprepped it will work on any machine.
Once you image the machine, enter the product key and install drivers.
Then just update the image every now and again to install new updates that come out.

Geoff

VIP Member
How often are you going to do this? Once you install it it's done, can't you just wait the couple hours and then get on with your life?

Darren

Staff member
You wanna know a secret?

Install your desired version of Windows 7.
Enable automatic updates and just let it sit and do its thing.
Install anything else you want on the system (except drivers).
Sysprep the installation and capture it using ImageX or DISM.
When you need to rebuild a computer, just use that image to reinstall Windows. No need to wait for updates, and because it's sysprepped it will work on any machine.
Once you image the machine, enter the product key and install drivers.
Then just update the image every now and again to install new updates that come out.

We do exactly that for machines we have multiple of, but I need to use WSUS regularly for customers machines that are reinstalling 7 or machines we sell that we only have one of. We've got a USB flash drive with a Windows 7 AIO installer that has the updates rolled into it. Unfortunately my boss hasn't updated that in about 3-4 years so only does so much. :p We are going to make a new one whenever he finds the time.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
We do exactly that for machines we have multiple of, but I need to use WSUS regularly for customers machines that are reinstalling 7 or machines we sell that we only have one of. We've got a USB flash drive with a Windows 7 AIO installer that has the updates rolled into it. Unfortunately my boss hasn't updated that in about 3-4 years so only does so much. :p We are going to make a new one whenever he finds the time.
You can do this with customer machines too. Because it is sysprepped it is not going to BSOD over different hardware.

Darren

Staff member
You can do this with customer machines too. Because it is sysprepped it is not going to BSOD over different hardware.
Interesting. I'll look into that, although we don't move enough volume for it to matter much honestly. We just started using WSUS a few weeks ago, had been just waiting on Windows Update for the past few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.