Installed new HD but can't see it in MyComp

jgoff14

I have 2 internal drives, 1SSD plugged in SATA8 that I boot from, and 1 HDD in SATA4 that is storage. I just ran new cables for a 2TB Seagate I picked up yesterday and it doesn't show up anywhere in BIOS or My Computer. The 2 TB is plugged in to SATA7 and when Windows (7 64) loaded it said it installed the driver successfully but I can't see it. I went in to my BIOS and I don't see it there either. I shutdown, moved the HDD from SATA 4 to SATA7 and I was still able to access it, so I didn't miss a cable. Is there something I need to do for Windows to recognize it? When I installed the current HDD I have I just plugged it in and it was visible... Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

jgoff14

I checked their website and manual, and said no jumpers are needed but I went ahead and tried it anyway, with no benefit. Before I put the jumper on, I did see it now lists my drive right under my SSD as connected to SATA 6Gb/s port just not showing up in My Computer now.

jgoff14

I couldn't find the drive to format, but when I looked closer in Disk Management the window was too small for me to see the new drive lol I feel special. I just found it and got it going. Thanks all!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All new drives must be partitioned and formatted in Disk management before windows explorer can see/use the drive.