Installed RAM and now the processor runs slower -- what gives?

newgene

Anyone ever heard of a processor running slower after installing RAM? I just pulled the two 512 MB SODIMMS and replaced it with two 1 GB SODIMMS, and now the system information is saying the processor is running around 1/4 of the speed. Anyone ever heard of this? Thanks.

alanuofm

VIP Member
newgene said:
Anyone ever heard of a processor running slower after installing RAM? I just pulled the two 512 MB SODIMMS and replaced it with two 1 GB SODIMMS, and now the system information is saying the processor is running around 1/4 of the speed. Anyone ever heard of this? Thanks.

what laptop are we speaking of?
mobile processors downclock under light processor usage to save battery.

newgene

alanuofm said:
what laptop are we speaking of?
mobile processors downclock under light processor usage to save battery.

Actually, it may be just that. It seems to downclock right after startup, even on AC power. However, it comes back to read full speed. I'm not concerned with it at all. I'm curious if it is possible to actually run slower with double the RAM size, if you maybe you use cheap RAM. I bought the Crucial/Micron value series, but it is double the size. They were both PC2700 as well, so it has to be faster. I just don't notice it yet. What do you folks think?

apj101

VIP Member
when you say you processor got slower, do you actually mean that the performance of your laptop has decreased, this is a subtle difference that could target your attension from the true culpret. I doubt that you cpu is to blame for your problems

newgene

Well, for the most part, I was able to fix it by disabling the power saving function of the processor. In control panel, under power management, I was able to change from notebook to desktop mode, and that seems to have worked. However, since then, my 2.0 GHz processor is showing 995 MHz in windows, even with AC power and the mode set to desktop.

I am convinced it has to do with the functionality of the AMD processor, but man do I hate it! It is a royal PITA! The computer is literally running slower.

alanuofm

VIP Member
newgene said:
Well, for the most part, I was able to fix it by disabling the power saving function of the processor. In control panel, under power management, I was able to change from notebook to desktop mode, and that seems to have worked. However, since then, my 2.0 GHz processor is showing 995 MHz in windows, even with AC power and the mode set to desktop.

I am convinced it has to do with the functionality of the AMD processor, but man do I hate it! It is a royal PITA! The computer is literally running slower.

the computer is running slower to give you maximum battery life (which probably isnt too great). however if you are playing a game or using cpu intensive applications, then the cpu speed should resume to normal.