Installing a CPU ????? Heatsink is in the way of locking the CPU down?

Pauly73Drifter

Hi guys, I just purchased a new motherboard and I am trying to install my CPU however there is no sucess. It is a socket 478 processor. The problem is in the book it tells me to open the lock to 90 degrees put the cpu in then lock it down. But, I can't because the CPU is on the heatsink already therefore the heatsink won't let me do that. Should I take the CPU off the heatsink, put it in and lock it, then glue the heatsink back on? Is it a good idea to force the cpu in the chip when it is locked?

Please, any help appreciated? Cheers

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Should I take the CPU off the heatsink, put it in and lock it, then glue the heatsink back on?

Yes. Gently remove the CPU from the heatsink (twisting works); the goal is a 'firm but gentle' approach. Pop the CPU into the Socket and lock it into place. Reapply thermal compound to the CPU (Here is a link I posted here a while back:http://www.computerforum.com/111094...r-temps-after-thermal-paste-3.html#post894889)

Is it a good idea to force the cpu in the chip when it is locked?

Nope. The way the 478 Socket was designed, the CPU is placed on top of it while it's opened, then the lever slides the CPU into place. If you try to force it in, you risk bending pins and/or damaging the Socket; either is bad.

PC eye

banned
First you should never have to force a cpu down into the socket ending up ruining the cpu itself. Heatsinks are generally installed after the cpu is installed into the socket with some thin layer of thermal paste or compound applied to the cpu or on the under side of the hsf being used.

With the hsf removed with some seeing fasteners mounted through the board itself for securing a back plate underneath you then lift the lever to take the tension off of the pins on a cpu already in use or to simply see the pin holes widen slightly to allow the cpu to simply and easily drop into place. The lever is then lowered down and secured with the retainer for that.

dznutz

as a former 478 user i can tell you that you don't have to open the lock at 90 degrees to add/remove.

have the latch in the closed position, insert the cpu/heatsink while opening the latch (you'll probably need small fingers), and success.

if that's not possible for you then detach the cpu from the heatsink as others have suggested, clean the detached side with high percentage alcohol (or equivalent cleaning compound), clean the heatsink side with the same thing, open latch, insert cpu, close latch, re-apply paste as per instructions, stick heatsink on.