Installing a Graphics Card

Thruindor

I have a quick question about graphics cards. I am going to be buying a 8800 GT (this one to be exact: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130318) to replace my old card. Now, I'm wondering how hard it will be to put it in. I'm not horrible at all when it comes to computers, but I've never put in a graphics card before. If I really need to, I have a friend that works with computers for a hobby, but don't really want to bother him with something like this if it's easy. Plus, I just bothered him with fixing my computer after it got messed up after a power surge. Thank you for the advice:)

shenry

Its the second most easiest thing to do in a computer really... Only second to plugging in a plug, because your plugging in two plugs!!:D (effectively at least...)

Ramodkk

VIP Member
It's relatively easy, just make sure you uninstall your current video drivers first. Turn off your comp, install your new card, turn on and install new drivers. ;)

Tuffie

Undo case screw, push down little plastic lever, and apply a steady pulling pressure pressure, untill it pops out..

Shove the new one in screw the ****er in and the bam, install your drivers.

:p any easier

Tuffie.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
What pastic lever and what screw?

The screw that holds the card in place on the case. It keeps it from getting picked up out of the interface slot when plugging in your monitor cable.

In some cases, it's not always a lever (Depends on the interface type)

PCI has no lever, but just sits in the slot and is screwed in the back of the case.

PCI-e has (in my case) a clip like what holds memory in, and is also screwed into the back of the case.

AGP has the lever and is also screwed into the back of the case.

stevei48

Did you watch the video i posted it shows the screw and the plastic lever the screw holds the card to the case and the lever locks the circuitboard of the video card into the pci express slot in the mother board, one thing it fails to mention is you need to remove the metal block off plate from the back of the case if your pc has never had a video card in it before you may need to just remove the screw and slide it out or like mine you need to break it free with a screw driver

G25r8cer

Ok, now I get you. I have installed my graphics card by myself but, there was no graphics card there before b/c it was integrated. Now i know what that clip is! I didnt know what screw you were talking about but now I do. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Filter

Turn off your computer, open it up, take out the old video card, put the new one in, boot up, install the drivers, restart, and you're ready to go.