Installing an SSD Hard Drive - Is it worth it apart from booting time?

Okedokey

The pro is about 50 bucks more and not really worth it IMHO. Just get the evo, update the firmware with Samsung's SSD toolkit (download latest from Samsung website) and install on a Sata III port and put Windows on it.

MisterEd

All the Samsung regular 2..5 inch form factor SSDs have a SATA interface. They read/write about 500 MB/s. They include: SSD 850 PRO, SSD 850 EVO and SSD 750 EVO.

Also there is SSD 850 EVO that has a M.2 form factor and a a SATA interface. It also has a read/write of about 500 MB/s.

To get really fast read/writes you have to go with a M.2 form factor with a NVMe interface. Depending upon the Samsung model you can have a read speed of 2500-3500 MB/s and a write speed of 1500-2100 MB/s. The models are: SSD 960 PRO, SSD 960 EVO and SSD 950 PRO.

I just got a 500GB SSD 960 EVO which has a M.2 form factor and a NVMe interface. Hopefully it will boot pretty fast.

Geoff

VIP Member
Thanks a lot for all your help guys! Now, a quick question. Would you go for the Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD 3D V-NAND or the Samsung 512GB EVO Pro SSD? What's the difference between the two? I have the Alienware Aurora R5 so it should be able to support both? Can someone correct me on this please?

The pro is about 50 bucks more and not really worth it IMHO. Just get the evo, update the firmware with Samsung's SSD toolkit (download latest from Samsung website) and install on a Sata III port and put Windows on it.
Agreed. The 850 EVO is the best for a consumer.