Installing programmes on external hard drives?

garry

Hi guys, new here!

i have heard contradicting things about this, but........

i have an external hard drive which i connect back on fourth between home and univercity for my course work. I am very low on space on my actual computer and would like to intall a programme on the external hard drive because there just isn't enough room on my computer for it. The programme will only be run on MY computer, not the uni computers because they already have it.

Is it safe to install it onto the external hard drive? Some people have said NO it will mess stuff up or not run properly; and others have said "i don't see why not".

Any help?

Thankyou

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
ditto :) as a matter of fact I've done it with no problems. Pragram? Dreamweaver.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
The only problem that may occur is that some programs won't run if connecting the hard drive to another system beacuse of missing system files.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
It may work, it may not. So both sides are correct:
- For "simpler programs" that dont require extensive registry mapping or DLL registration you'll be fine
- For larger, more complex proggies (i.e., games, major applications and such), you'll have a problem because the registry entries are not stored on the external drive but rather the system that the drive is connected to. In order to get it to work properly you'll have to ensure that (a) you use the same machine all the time and (b) the system isnt "wiped" or "ghosted" each night or something