Installing SATA driver upon installation

Kaega2

Hello everyone,

I've trying to get a friends computer up and running after he ran into some problems. In troubleshooting these problems, he ended up formatting his HD.

He was has provided me very little details on what troubleshooting he's done, so I'm kind of starting from scratch. To give you an idea of some of the things he may have fiddled with, I had to change the jumper on one of his HDs because it was set to an invalid entry, and didn't even show up in bios until I changed it.

But now to the problem where I'm stuck. It seems this computer requires a SATA driver or RAID driver for the HD to show up in the Windows installer. The owner of the computer has provided me with a floppy disk with the driver on it.

When I run the installer, and press F6, nothing appears to happen. I thought maybe the driver on the disc wasn't the right one, but then I read something which makes me believe that may not be the case. From what I've read if you have no disk in the floppy drive, I should get a message to insert a disk. That does not happen, which makes me think it's not recognizing that I'm pressing the F6 key.

The keyboard I'm using is my own USB keyboard (the owner did not provide me one). I don't have a PS2 keyboard to test, but I'm thinking that may be the problem. I figured before going looking for one, I would ask on here and see what you think.

There doesn't seem to be a model number for the computer overall (I think it's custom built) but the model of the motherboard is VT8237.

Any suggestions?

Wolfeymole

Hello Kaega2

Welcome to CF

It sounds like the generic USB drivers are not being loaded and with this being a sata drive I guess we are talking about XP right?

Obtain a PS2 K/B at your earliest opportunity and make sure the floppy drive is still connected internally.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Give us more information here please. How about model of computer if its store bought or model of motherboard if it's custom built? What kind of xp install disk are you using? Is it the original release of XP or does it have SP1, SP2, or SP3 applied to it? Can you access the bios using your keyboard? Look in their for a sata controller setting to change it from ahci to IDE.

Is the setup a mix of ide and sata hard drives?