Installing Vista

Cpetrie

I recently ordered Vista Home Premium 64-Bit (System Builder), I currently have Windows XP Professional SP3 installed. I have XP installed on a 50gb partition of my 500gb HDD (the other partition is the rest of the drive, ~450gb). I have a large amount of media that I would like to save, but I have no means to back it all up. I am not really certain what to do, currently I think I will pick 32gb of stuff to save and throw it on an older IDE HDD. The reason I need to do this, is because I assume a 50gb partition will not be large enough for Vista. If anyone understands the Vista installation process and has a suggestion for me, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Cpetrie

Well, if 50gb is sufficient, I suppose I do not have anything to worry about. However, if there is a way to install Vista while selectively retaining certain data, I would prefer that.

3uL

You can just do a clean install over your xp partition. Insert the dvd and select your xp partition to install the vista.

Aastii

VIP Member
In my 180GB hard drive which has vista on when i have installed vista and drivers and that is all vista tells me i have about 18GB of 180GB used, that is with no partitions in, so 50GB should be plenty.