Installing W7 over Ubuntu

Turnitdown

Hey guys

I've just finished my first PC build.
At the moment I've got a 640GB HDD in there and I'm waiting on another 250GB HDD to install windows on to.

As I want to see if everything else is in good working order. I am going to install Ubuntu on to the 640GB hard drive.

When the 250GB one arrives. Will it be easy enough to boot from the windows disc and install it on to the 250GB HDD and then format the Ubuntu HDD?

Its the formatting of the Ubuntu drive to get it working in windows as a storage drive that I'm worrying about.

How easy will this be and is it worth doing it?

Sorry if this is really complicated

Thanks,

salvage-this

I'm a bit confused by your question. Are you trying to have your home folders from Ubuntu and Wndows in the same partition on the 640gb drive? Or are you trying to delete Ubuntu after your Windows HDD arrives?

Turnitdown

I'm a bit confused by your question. Are you trying to have your home folders from Ubuntu and Wndows in the same partition on the 640gb drive? Or are you trying to delete Ubuntu after your Windows HDD arrives?

I'll have 640GB with Ubuntu. Then when the Windows HDD arrives I'll install W7 on to it and then I'm wanting to delete Ubuntu from the 640GB one :)

salvage-this

When the 250GB one arrives. Will it be easy enough to boot from the windows disc and install it on to the 250GB HDD and then format the Ubuntu HDD?

It should not be hard at all. You can either boot from the windows cd and install it to the 250gb making sure not to write over anything that has to do with Ubuntu on the 640gb. Anything in ext4 or swap area. If you keep away from those, you should be fine. Just to be sure, I would disconnect the 640 and do a install of Win 7 just like if you had never had an operating system on your computer before. After installation, the Grub loader should recognize Win 7 and should be able to boot from it.

Its the formatting of the Ubuntu drive to get it working in windows as a storage drive that I'm worrying about.

How easy will this be and is it worth doing it?

First thing to consider is where are your files that you are going to be moving to WIndows? if they are all backed up on an external then no problem. Just format them through Windows when you get it up and running. If you transfer them strait from Ubuntu then just copy all that you want into the Dekstop folder under you (as the user) in your windows folders and they should be on your desktop when you load up Windows.

Ok, so formatting...

you will loose all of the data on that disk! be sure that you have everything. When you are ready to format right click computer from your task bar and I believe it is under manage. There is a disk utility on the side bar. From that menu you should be able to format the 640gb to an NTFS file system and use it as storage space.

If you will be using Windows by itself you could just transfer all of your files to the 250 (make sure that it is formatted in some verson of FAT so windows and Linux canb see it) and wipe Ubuntu and install Windows 7 over it.

Sorry that was so long, I hope I answered your question:D.

Turnitdown

Thanks for all your help.
I just ran Ubuntu from the disc and on one of my core's the CPU usage is 100%.
This changed from core 1 to core 2 in 5 minutes.
Do any of you guys know what the problem is?
It shouldn't be like this on a Q9400 im sure.

ee190875.jpg

fb0d3214.jpg

Thanks

Mattb94

I think that this could work through dual boot, or you could use Virtual Box which is a free program creates a virtual machine on the same computer. Hope this helps :)

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
What release of Ubuntu are you using? The older ones were sometimes quirky with multi-core CPUs. I seem to recall being able to change one of the system settings in...6.10?--7.04? to better utilize, but I can't say for certain as I only dabbled with each for a day before deciding to stick with the Drake.

Are you certain that there isn't something running in the background? Your memory usage is hovering as well. And, umm...7 gigs of Swap?