Installing Windows 10 without media on new SSD

davedvf

Hello,

My uncle's hard drive died on his laptop (HP Pavilion G6) and I have been tasked with replacing this drive and reinstalling the OS. He had taken the Windows 10 upgrade at some point while it was being offered for free. I hope to place a new SSD in his laptop and get him going again on Windows 10

I know I am going to need to come up with some sort of boot disk (not really sure how I am going to do that yet either given that his old hard drive is toast).

I am just looking for advice. Once I add the new SSD:

1. How do I get Windows 10 back on this PC (given that I have no local media for this)
2. Can I make a boot disk (i.e. on a thumb drive) from my PC (that I can use to boot his laptop)?

Just looking for practical advice on how to get 1 and 2 accomplished.

Thank You

Laquer Head

You can go here https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Download the media creation tool, and follow the prompts...( You'll want to have a an empty USB flash drive for the install to go on)

Then once the install media is made - you can boot from the USB drive and follow the prompts to install windows 10 onto the SSD.

Don't forgot to visit the HP page specific to that laptop for any HP specific drivers/utilities you may need.

Windows 10 will auto-activate itself, since there was a previous windows 10 install and the laptop will be eligible for a digital entitlement licence. (Remember to download the version you previous had.. ex. Windows 10 Home ---> Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro ---> Windows 10 Pro)