Installing XP from a hard disk

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
how would i go about installing windows xp from a hard disk? i ask this cos im experiencing file transfer problems when installing windows from the cd rom and would like to have a "plan B" that would allow me to install windows should i need to before i get this problem sorted

Trizoy

VIP Member
So you have winxp already installed on another hard drive? If the installation is ok you can use a program like partition magic to copy the hard drive over. Maybe clean the cd, and hope it works out...

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
would the method you suggested using partition magic mean that i'd have to wipe the hard drive cos the drive that i intend to use to run the installation from has a lot of suff that i need for work etc?

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
whoops... i misread your post there... ideally i would have the contents of the disk on my hard drive so that i can run the installation from there

Trizoy

VIP Member
No I dont know of anyway to do that... You may be able to create an imgae of your semi-damaged disc with an image creating program nero alcohol 120% or somthing of the sort. Then re-burn the disk making it the new cdr has no scratches on the face. If this dont work you can borrow a cd from a friend... Its all the same stuff, just use your cd-key.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
there's no problem with the disk, ive tried several disks and even purchased a new drive but all to no avail. :(
hopefully the problem will be solved when i get my replacement processor.
i know its possible but i cant remember where i saw the information on how to do it :confused: