Installing XP

abananaman

K- here's my problem, basic specs are at the end. I'm trying to upgrade my system to XP. First time round, I went for a fresh install, formatted the HD, repartitioned (I was running Mandrake on a 2nd partition), and went to install. It makes the blue boot-up screen, asks if I need to install 3rd party drivers, and then says Starting Setup(or some such thing). It proceeds to a blank screen, and sits there. Never got any farther than that. I then reinstalled 98 (no problems) and tried to upgrade. Same problem. I attempted removing one memory stick at a time, to no avail, also removed my sound card and network card, no help. Running 98 there are no problems, perfectly smooth running system. I ran the compatability checker for XP, and it said my vid card might require additional files, but I could still install. Also said my sound card would require additional files, but I removed that anyway. I built this system myself, and up till now, I haven't hit a problem I couldnt fix w/ a slight tweak or driver update or such thing :mad: . Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!!

Specs-
K7VZA Motherboard
AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8 GHz T-Bred
512 RAM (2 256 sticks, don't know what brand they are, but they weren't cheapies)
Radeon 9200 SE 128 MB
Creative SB Live! Sound card
4 or 450 watt psu (not sure which)
Maxtor 10 GB Hard-drive (unfortunatly, doesn't say how many RPM's, and I don't remember)
:( Sorry some of it is so vague

That's about it!

Morb

I don't know exactly what it may cause your problem, but I had a very similar problem when I've installed my WinXPSP2. On WinXPSP1 everything goes ok, but when I ran istall of new version of WXP installation stop after loading necessary drivers and then screen turn to blank and nothing happened. Finally I found that it was caused by overclocked memory bus.

I think that I've not helped you much, but from this time you know that this thing can cause it too. :(