insufficient PSU?

HELP_ME

hey, im having what i think is an insufficient power supply problem. i bought a new video card (2600 xt) and i have a 300w power supply. when i use the latest drivers my computer crashes when i exit or minimize CSS. so i use older drivers which dont do it nearly as often. is it possible that the newer drivers require the card to use more PSU power? cause i also notice i get more fps with the newer drivers. so if that is possible i am pretty certain thats my problem. also as a temporary solution too see if it relaly is my power supply i was wondering if removing an unsed PCI card from its slot would reduce the compuers power consumption. im not even sure what it is but it has a telephone like connection on the back...so i assume its for dialup. but would it even take any power if its just plugeed into a pci port? or does it actually have to be in use for it to consume power?

HELP_ME

Alsoo if anyone could suggest any ways of potentially lowering my computers power consumption taht would be great also

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
First off, The power supply you are using is insufficient for your video card. This would be a good time to upgrade that. A decent 450-500 watt with at least 22 amps on the 12v line should be sufficient unless you have the money to spend for higher wattage. Just don't go out and buy any old power supply that has that rating though. You need to make sure that its a decent brand. Look at this thread for good/bad list of power supplies.

http://www.computerforum.com/90116-psu-good-bad-list.html

Also you need to look at the amps on each output for the 5v and 12 v lines. I prefer to buy power supplies with at least 30 amps on the 5v line.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
a 300w power supply to power a 2600 xt :eek:

i suggest you get a new one dude :)

HELP_ME

First off, The power supply you are using is insufficient for your video card. This would be a good time to upgrade that. A decent 450-500 watt with at least 22 amps on the 12v line should be sufficient unless you have the money to spend for higher wattage. Just don't go out and buy any old power supply that has that rating though. You need to make sure that its a decent brand. Look at this thread for good/bad list of power supplies.

http://www.computerforum.com/90116-psu-good-bad-list.html

Also you need to look at the amps on each output for the 5v and 12 v lines. I prefer to buy power supplies with at least 30 amps on the 5v line.

yea i read alot about how much is recomended on the 1vrail but i didnt see much about the 5v or 3.3v. so i'll take ur suggestion on 30 amps of the 5v but what about the 3.3v? anyone?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
yea i read alot about how much is recomended on the 1vrail but i didnt see much about the 5v or 3.3v. so i'll take ur suggestion on 30 amps of the 5v but what about the 3.3v? anyone?

Unless you buy a REALLY crappy PSU, you're fine. I never even look at those. If it's from a Antec/OCZ or other KNOWN manufacturer, you're in good hands. I hav e never failed a build from low amps on the 3.3V or 5V.

ceewi1

VIP Member
It's really the +12V rail that's all-important on PSUs these days, a modern PC can easily draw 90%+ of it's total load from the +12V rail. I wouldn't worry about the +3.3 and +5V rails, in fact if you look for one with a high 5V rail you're probably getting an older design anyway.

As for how much power is required, see http://www.computerforum.com/90110-power-recommendations-video-card.html. The recommendation for a 2600XT is a minimum 400W with at least +12V@22A.