integrated graphics and RAM

mil

Hi there

I am thinking about buying my first laptop. At the moment i am considering Dell inspiron 6400 ( same as the E1505). I have just got a few questions about it. firstly, i have been told that the integrated graphics system that comes with this computer can be a bit of a pain, cos it uses up a lot of the RAM. i am not going to be using my computer for gaming, but may use it for editing photos etc in the future. will integrated graphics be an issue for this? also what is the difference between getting a 2 x 512MB or getting 1 x 1024MB. I was told that if i am thinking about upgrading the RAM later it would be better to get 1 x 1024MB.
thanks in advance for any advice.

jasonz

i have a similar set up as you are looking at. If you are not doing any intense gaming, i think that will be good. I did regret not getting a graphics card for games, but i am so busy with school and i cant afford games now, so it doesnt bother me. As for running programs, i have ran PS CS2, Solidworks, AutoCAD, Flash, they all run fine( at least compared to the computers at university). And i think the 1 x 1024 allows you to upgrade as you said. I have that and i can expand up to 2 gig. I think thats called dual something,??

OvenMaster

VIP Member
1. Regarding the integrated graphics, they're fine for websurfing, spreadsheets, most 2D applications. I have run Paint Shop Pro with integrated graphics and I didn't have a problem at all. I only added an AGP card recently to let me do some light gaming and for smoother DVD playback.

2. Yes, it's better to have the 1 x 1024MB stick and leave a slot open than to have two slots with 512MB in each. One large stick will give you room to expand later if you wish, which two slots full of smaller RAM will not (if you're limited to two slots).

Tom

erict

Isn’t it basically “pay now or pay later”. If you only get (2) 512mb when you purchase the laptop then if you ever want to upgrade later to 2mb ram then you will have to purchase (2) 1024mb dimm’s later on which equals greater cost. If you get (1) 1024mb at purchase then you only have to buy (1) 1024mb dimm if you want to upgrade to 2mb of ram, which equals less cost. It’s all up to you. Sounds like 1mb will be fine for you. I ordered my e1505 early this week and I only went for the 1mb of ram. I didn’t see spending the extra money now and if I ever do need 2mb of ram down the road I will upgrade then. I spent extra on a dedicated video card instead.

Boomer

but how are you going to put a video card in a laptop.

he means he upgraded to a video card that has its own RAM, compared to an integrated video card that uses the computers RAM.

so if u get a laptop with 2 gigs of ram and a 128mb (integrated) graphic card, you will only have 1920mb of RAM that is usable.

now my laptop has a Go7600 graphic card which has its own dedicated RAM (256mb). so it doesn't steal any of the 2gigs of RAM from the computer.

erict

he means he upgraded to a video card that has its own RAM, compared to an integrated video card that uses the computers RAM.

so if u get a laptop with 2 gigs of ram and a 128mb (integrated) graphic card, you will only have 1920mb of RAM that is usable.

now my laptop has a Go7600 graphic card which has its own dedicated RAM (256mb). so it doesn't steal any of the 2gigs of RAM from the computer.

Correct boomer. I got the ati mobility radeon x1400 hyper memory.