intel 80gig ssd installed, views!!!

funkysnair

VIP Member
well i got my ssd in post today (pics)

31102009695.jpg

31102009696.jpg

my first thoughts where, £200 for that little thing but dam are they different to normal hd's

my pc booted to desktop in 39secs but was unusable for a further 5-10 secs while the drive organised itself (1tb 7,200 rpm samsung spinpoint f1-brandnew)

my solid state drive shuts down completely in 3 seconds flat and boots to desktop usable in 15 seconds!

granted that writing to the drive is not as fast as reading but its still faster than conventional hard drives, i installed windows7 64bit in 15mins aprox!!!

in a nutshell the drive is expensive but its dam rapid and i can only see things getting better in the ssd department

pros-
easy mounting
size
speed
silent

cons-
price
storage capacity

31102009698.jpg

heres how i mounted mine using double sided sticky foam pads (no space to mount inside due to tripple raditaor)

Last edited:

susik89

Damn thats a nice performance boost. But even though it's faster I don't think that having your windows/games load faster is worth that much :x

2048Megabytes

They are advertising up to 250 megtabyte per second read speeds with the Intel X25-M Solid State Disk. That is impressive but not worth $279 American Dollars. I wonder how many years it is going to take for the price to come down on solid state disk drives?

funkysnair

VIP Member
well basicly its up to the person who is looking at the price if it is worth it!

i was looking at the drive with a spare £350 in my pocket so i decided to get one and go out for a meal tonight :)

my pc is so rapid its unbelivable, and like bomberboysk says the whole system has improved.

i did purchase a crucial ssd a while back and the performance was terrible i had to rma it, not all ssd,s are good!

manufacturers have good and bad models, but i knew with intel it was a good one :)

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Prices are coming down slowly. There are really fast SSD's in the $150 area now, using new Jmicron controllers with 64megs of built in cache. I'm looking to get one around thanks giving!

2048Megabytes

Prices are coming down slowly. There are really fast SSD's in the $150 area now, using new Jmicron controllers with 64 megabytes of built in cache. I'm looking to get one around Thanksgiving!

What are some good models of Solid State Drives to watch? I'm waiting for a decent 80 gigabyte Solid State Drive to drop to around $100 in price.

funkysnair

VIP Member
What are some good models of Solid State Drives to watch? I'm waiting for a decent 80 gigabyte Solid State Drive to drop to around $100 in price.

for $100 i dont think there are any decent drives at the present moment in time, they are still very expensive

just stay away from the old ssd's with the jmicron controllers because they wer terrible for stuttering (belive me i have had experience)

here is a benchmark chart with most ssds in

http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/high_end_drives.html

intel i drive i chose is 7th from the top being betten by the intel slc's

Last edited:

Ethan3.14159

That's some serious speed! I want a SSD, but I want high capacity. I can't be bothered with multiple drives... because I'm lazy. Maybe I'll start saving for one of the Intel X-25 or the OCZ Vertex or a good Indilinx SSD, and just have Windows on it.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I want a SSD, but I want high capacity. I can't be bothered with multiple drives..

Same here,80gb is nowhere near good enough for me...i need at least 250gb for just my os,apps and game,no point in just installing windows on the SSD and everything else on another standard drive imo.

tbh though Id rather have this instead of the SSD because of the price/storage.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149435

funkysnair

VIP Member
Same here,80gb is nowhere near good enough for me...i need at least 250gb for just my os,apps and game,no point in just installing windows on the SSD and everything else on another standard drive imo.

tbh though Id rather have this instead of the SSD because of the price/storage.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149435

i would rather have 2 1tb drives in raid0 that that drive, but then again i would rather have my intel ssd :p

funkysnair

VIP Member
also as people mentioned about the write speeds fo the ssd's, well infact tehre a little misleading as i have found through research that

"It's random writes which really make a difference in day to day usage"

"Don't forget that read/write speeds aren't the ultimate guide to performance. The X25-M was (significantly) slower in terms of sustained throughput than some of the other drives on the market, but its real-world performance was greater thanks to very high IOPS scores"

therefore when purchasing any ssd's more research is a necesity or you will end up with a ssd drive that has all the numbers but none of the performance!

in a nut shell the intel drive i bought is a winner and i am very pleased with the purchase, just waiting on intel releasing there firmware

"Intel X25-M SSD firmware update boosts write speeds 40%"......

bomberboysk

Yeah, the reason SSD's are great is the random access times, no head moving above platters, electrons move almost at the speed of light vs mechanically limited.

funkysnair

VIP Member
Yeah, the reason SSD's are great is the random access times, no head moving above platters, electrons move almost at the speed of light vs mechanically limited.

im really looking forward to the new firmware coming out, i noticed intel has removed there firmware from there website due to it "bricking" alot of peoples ssd's!!!

but a %40 increase in write times, that as one hell of an update, especially when its free :)

funkysnair

VIP Member
What are you talking about? The cheapest Intel Solid State Disk is $259 presently. :) What is free?

what is free!!!!!!!

is the update to release %40 more peformance in writting spead! now you wouldnt turn your nose up at that if you already bought something excepting the spec only to find that there is going to be a firmware to increase performance now would you? now button it :)

They are very very overpriced :cool:

Hows it been so far Funky? Any problems?

its amazing, best upgrade ive ever made

even better than going from my q6600 to i7 920, everything responds quicker......

thinking about another for raid0 ;)

Last edited: