Intel Celeron 2.4ghz motherboard

jcunningham9

Hi, I'm building up an every day pc today with spare parts, and have a couple questions. I've basically got the motherboard, everything else is going to be ripped from atleast 8 different parts pcs. How many watt power supply should I drop in? I've probably got a 350watt one in my pentium3, and I can put that in. Also, does anyone know what kind of memory this would take, or a site where I can find out by typing in some code on the board? Quick replies would be appreciated, as I am sitting on my living room floor stripping pcs before I go hat shopping. Thanks in advance.

I'm 14, by the way, so don't try and use extremely technical words, because I probably will have no clue to what you're talking about :)

Also, this is no-where near anything to a gaming pc or anything, may be ran like twice a week, just for small things like solitare and maybe wordpad or word..

JustinMcG67

Well, first and foremost the Celeron is LGA 775 or Socket 478? You need to have a 4 pin square-like lug in that attaches to the motherboard on the PSU. 350W would be just fine given you aren't running hardly anything that requires a boat-load of power. You should be just fine. :)

jcunningham9

Don't know what this socket thing you speak of is, and since my comp tech dad is out and I can't find anything on Google, I think I might just have to wing it...

I got a 300w supply in there, just attatching all the components to test 'er out.

JustinMcG67

Well Socket LGA775 boards and Socket 478 boards use the 4-pin connector. The reason I ask if because you said you got the 350W PSU from an old P3 PC. Which the P3 series did not use the 4-pin connector.

PabloTeK

Aye but I have a socket 370 Celeron from the PIII era that had a 4 pin on. The AthlonXP's didn't use them either. The Pentium 4's seem to be the CPU's that had the first use of it regularly.

JustinMcG67

Aye but I have a socket 370 Celeron from the PIII era that had a 4 pin on. The AthlonXP's didn't use them either. The Pentium 4's seem to be the CPU's that had the first use of it regularly.

Well just so long as you know about the 4-pin then you're good to go. All in all I'd say you shouldn't have any problems. :) Best of luck though.

MixedLogik

Ok first off Im 13 and understand perfectly what he is saying. What you need is RAM that is compatible with your motherboard. Research the motherboard on google. It should say what board it is somewhere on it. Usually under the processor or the NorthBridge. Second if it is a Celeron processor it runs off Socket LGA 775, 478, and 370. The Socket is what the processor fits in to. Different sockets have different pin orientations depending on the micro-processor. If you can find out what the board specs are than you can find out what RAM it takes, VGA, Video Card Slot, Socket #, and other important things. Look on google or yahoo to see what you can find. If you still cant get answers, Take a picture of the board (Close UP!) So we can identify it...

PabloTeK

I thinks he's referring to the fact that the original poster says he's 14 but can't understand this however this guy is 13 and can. Just to help you along; the Northbridge is the chip directly below the CPU, However I know of some boards where the name is between the PCI slots such as the old Asus sitting under my bed.

jcunningham9

Well, the power supply fit everywhere, and when I plugged her in and hit the power she booted up, but made a loud beeping sound, and displayed nothing on the monitor. Upon searching the motherboard for a problem, I came across a sticky note my dad left saying the processor is damaged and the pc is only for spare parts, not including board or processor. Whoops.

Went downstairs and switched pcs, grabbed an HP Vectra Pentium 3, and inside there is an envelope that says it takes pc133 ram, and I've got a box of it downstairs, so I think I'll try this one. I'm about to drop a hard drive in, power supply and everything's already there. I'll keep you guys updated anyways.

Thx for all your help guys.

JustinMcG67

Awesome! So far so good eh? Now that you've got RAM and the PSU issue figured out the rest is just a cake walk. Best of luck to you!

wizle

anytime you want to identify any components in your computer just D/L Everest and it will tell you exactly whats inside and where to go for support