Intel chipset question

JLV2k5

I know the NB P35 is okay for Intel but what do you guys know about this chipset?

North Bridge Intel G31
South Bridge Intel ICH7

Thanks

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
North Bridge Intel G31
South Bridge Intel ICH7

All the boards in that category are mATX and only support 4GB of RAM (2 DIMM slots), have one PCI-E slot, and two USB slots. The P35 boards are standard ATX with 4 DIMM slots, have two PCI-E slots, and more USB ports. You may have noticed that. Those are the only differences I see.

Last edited:

JLV2k5

Thanks. I want 4 dimm slots but dont need two PCIe slops. I dont have the money to run SLI and buy a second GPU. Anyone have some MB recommendations for me in this case? Im making a gaming rig. Thanks

Last edited:

MatrixEVO

Im making a gaming rig.

P35 is the better choice then. It's a stonger, more reliable chipset and supports much more than the other chipset you mentioned. For gaming with single GPU setups, it's ideal. Get a decent Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GT or AMD 3870, and your set.

Geoff

VIP Member
P35 is the better choice then. It's a stonger, more reliable chipset and supports much more than the other chipset you mentioned. For gaming with single GPU setups, it's ideal. Get a decent Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GT or AMD 3870, and your set.
Well the X38 is the best choice for gaming, since it has two full PCI-E 2.0 x16 slots. Although price wise, the P35 is the best.

MatrixEVO

[-0MEGA-];861946 said:
Well the X38 is the best choice for gaming, since it has two full PCI-E 2.0 x16 slots. Although price wise, the P35 is the best.

X38 is basically P35 with 2 x16 slots instead of 1 (at x16) or 2 (at x16 and x4). If he's not getting crossfire, P35 is ideal. Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI make excellent P35 boards, check em' out.

Geoff

VIP Member
X38 is basically P35 with 2 x16 slots instead of 1 (at x16) or 2 (at x16 and x4). If he's not getting crossfire, P35 is ideal. Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI make excellent P35 boards, check em' out.
I don't need to check them out, I already have one ;)

I know they are great boards, I bought mine when the P35's just came out back in June. The only other major differences is that it supports PCI-E 2.0, support for CPU's with a 1600MHz bus, 45nm support out of the box, new heatpipe design, and a few other things.

addy999

Well I know they are ok but not up to mark because if u wana good graphics u should go for nvidea chip set....

MatrixEVO

[-0MEGA-];863006 said:
I don't need to check them out, I already have one ;)

I was directing that towards the thread maker, not you, lol. I know you already have one and they you got it when P35 was brand new and X38 wasn't released yet, and even if it was, would have been well over $300.

JLV2k5

Thanks. So you absolutely need an nVidia chipset to run SLI? Of corse you dont need nVidia to run CrossFire, but can you do so on an intel chipset?

JLV2k5

[-0MEGA-];861946 said:

Yeah but i said i am not running two videocards.

Geoff

VIP Member
I dont know what that means
mATX = Micro ATX, which is a smaller version of the common ATX standard motherboard. It usually only offers two memory slots, which is where he assumed it would only be compatible with up to 4GB of RAM.

JLV2k5

Right i knew all that. The sentence made no sense.

I am on a micro atx machine right now. Its a little traffic cam computer that I use for my university research. :)