Intel Core 2 Extreme + Picking a processor

Spit-wad

Hello. I'm new here at computerforum.com and I just wanted to get some input and ask some questions.

I am planning on building a computer this summer. It will be my first build.
Some basics: I will play games on it - probably not the highest graphics games, but some. I will do some photoshop work and various other projects.

My main reason for building a computer is I need one for college next year and I want the experience of building my own. Money is not a huge issue - I am willing to spend up to $1500 if I need to, but obviously I'd like to keep the price down. I realize that I don't need the greatest specs, but I want stuff that I can brag about :cool:.

From the research I've done, I am planning to get a 8800GT as my video card, and I was planning on getting an Intel Q9300 as my processor.

But I have recently been presented with an alternative.

Newegg sells the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 for just over $1,000. I have the opportunity to buy this, brand new, for $240. The Q9300 is $275 on Newegg right now. So here is my dilemma: I will be staying in a dorm next fall. I want to keep the computer as cool and quiet as possible, and I don't want it to be too much of a power hog.

Is it a fair assumption that the QX6850 will run hotter and use more power than a Q9300?

Will the QX6850 require a different motherboard that could possibly be more expensive?

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
(Note: I do not NEED the Extreme, but it's such a good deal...)
And if I went with the Extreme, I assume I would need to buy extra cooling components?

Any help is much appreciated.

lovely?

actually that is an extremely good deal, buy that ASAP.

no its not a hot processor, the stock fan will handle it well but you certainly have the budget for an aftermarket cooler if your really picky about temps.

a side note, the q9300 sucks. low cache, low multiplier, high fsb. its all bad. i highly recommend the q6600 over it, the q6600 has more cache, is clock for clock faster, and has a lower FSB.

Timo

For 50 dollars you can buy yourself a nice and good Scythe cooler for that QX6850. And the QX6850 is clocked higher then the Q9300, has more Caché, has an unlocked multiplier and it has the uberl compatibility with practically every motherboard.

Basically it's better stock, and it will overclock higher with better temperatures.

lovely?

temperatures, maybe not. the q9300 will have better temps, is it 20nm smaller, no matter what.

Steelshivan

Here's what I would do:

Pick up that Extreme for the $240 and go around and sell it for much more. Get a Q6600 or Q6700 as they will be overkill for your posted needs as it is. Enjoy the extra money. I'm not much of a bragger though.

Obviously, I am unaware of any moral and/or other reasons why the above might be a bad idea.