Intel Core i3 7th gen compared to AMD Vision.

Laptop is a 5 year old HP 2000 with a AMD Vision but looking at a new laptop that has the Intel Core i3 7th Gen. Updated my router with a Netgear AC1200. Would the new Intel Core i3 laptop give better performance? Both run Windows 10. Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well if the amd is an E series processor like I think it is, the I3 will kill it.

Bought the new router thinking that would make a difference but the laptop is still slow. Router is in the basement and the laptop is in the dining room. I want to buy my wife a new one but just want to make sure it will be faster. The laptop is only used for FB and checking mail.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Between the router being in the basement and really low end processor, it will be slow. You need to have the router close to the living areas that the laptop will be used in. You may have to get a wireless access point and wire it directly to the router in the basement if you can drill a hole through the floor.

I have a Roku about 10ft from the router now in the basement and a Roku in the upstairs bedroom and both get good signals. I could install the router in the living room and it would be in direct sight of the laptop about 12ft away. Would this be an ideal location for the router? Was just doing some reading and would a wi-fi booster work if I located it just a couple of feet from the laptop?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It you can get the router closer to the laptop it would help but it's still a slow cpu if it's the e series.

beers

Staff member
What's your definition of 'slow'? Usually there are a variety of factors that can be faster or slower but it depends on a wide range of variables specifically what you're trying to do and what aspect we're talking about.

Upgrading a router with a laptop that has a CPU or RAM limitation when loading content won't improve your experience when rendering resources.
Upgrading a PC with a super slow internet connection won't improve your experience in web browsing.

As John was saying, any E series AMD APU is super low end.

Well here is what I did. Since my wife only uses the laptop for reading the mail and using Facebook I ordered a ACER Chromebook with the Intel Celeron 3205U. She doesn't need or use 99% of what Windows 10 has. I'm hoping the simple OS system of the Chromebook will work just fine. I hope.