Intel Core i7-6950X

So this Processor has 10 cores...

Intel Core i7-6950X 3.0GHz 10-Core OEM/Tray Processor

#1 what is a Tray Processor?
#2 being that it is OEM is that why it is $1800+?
#3 Money is no object, I mean multi millionaire and buying this will make NO difference on not being able to buy other parts for the PC, would it be useful at ALL for gaming or can nothing use that many cores yet?

I am relatively new to understanding the cores stuff.

Intel_man

VIP Member
To answer your questions...
  1. It comes in a tray of processors rather than boxed individually for retail sales. Trays are usually for large OEM manufacturers who put them in their own branded computers.
  2. It's a flagship Intel Extreme chip. That's why it costs that much. Also, it's got 10 cores... plus hyperthreading.
  3. No. No games will benefit from the 6950x with possibly the exception of Cities Skylines that have seen a few fps increases, but definitely not enough to warrant the extra $1400 over a 6700k.
Any processor with ridiculously high numbers of cores are generally targeted towards server, rendering, or compression uses. There's probably a few other uses that benefit from high core count, but gaming is not one of them.

beers

Staff member
#1 what is a Tray Processor?
#2 being that it is OEM is that why it is $1800+?
#3 Money is no object, I mean multi millionaire and buying this will make NO difference on not being able to buy other parts for the PC, would it be useful at ALL for gaming or can nothing use that many cores yet?
1) There's generally tray/OEM and Retail. This one wouldn't come with any box or packaging and you'd just get the CPU. Here's a tray:

phan-biet-hai-loai-cpu-box-va-cpu-tray1.jpg

2) It's the only 10c/20t consumer CPU on the market and is priced with a corresponding profit margin.

3) You'd probably be better off with a multi socket Xeon system at that level.

Laquer Head

I'm not sure why people post threads like this. You aren't going to be building this, you know this..I know this. You are wasting peoples time building and asking questions about some ludicrous build you have no intention of buying.

When people say 'money is no object' that is a guaranteed RED FLAG that you are just messing around and being a time burglar. When you actually get serious and decide on your real budget of $1000 total, come and ask for help - till then, stop being foolish and flexing like you are impressing anyone on here..cause your not.

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
A Samsung 960 beats the pants off the Intel 750.
Depends on what you're using it for.

The 750 is still faster in most of the deep queue performance considering the 750's been out for quite some time now vs the 960 pro. It also probably won't thermal throttle as fast as the 960 in sustain read/writes.

Having said that, none of that is significant to the general public... unless for whatever the reason is, you're a super heavy user.

It'll also be interesting to see how the successor to the Intel 750 will perform.

Geoff

VIP Member
Depends on what you're using it for.

The 750 is still faster in most of the deep queue performance considering the 750's been out for quite some time now vs the 960 pro. It also probably won't thermal throttle as fast as the 960 in sustain read/writes.

Having said that, none of that is significant to the general public... unless for whatever the reason is, you're a super heavy user.

It'll also be interesting to see how the successor to the Intel 750 will perform.
Eh, benchmarks seem to show that the 960 is better in practically every regard. Although they didn't test thermal throttling.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1458?vs=1811

Okedokey

You'd be better off balancing all the system and get a PCIe SSD, fast processor and fast ram and storage rather than spend it all on a processor.

I'm not sure why people post threads like this. You aren't going to be building this, you know this..I know this. You are wasting peoples time building and asking questions about some ludicrous build you have no intention of buying.

When people say 'money is no object' that is a guaranteed RED FLAG that you are just messing around and being a time burglar. When you actually get serious and decide on your real budget of $1000 total, come and ask for help - till then, stop being foolish and flexing like you are impressing anyone on here..cause your not.
I already did that :) I had other questions that wee answered and was just interested in a "if money is no object build" what would be the best I could buy is all. I shall take my hurt feelings and go sulk somewhere else.

Laquer Head

I already did that :) I had other questions that wee answered and was just interested in a "if money is no object build" what would be the best I could buy is all. I shall take my hurt feelings and go sulk somewhere else.
No need to have hurt feelings.. these kinda threads get posted too often and at the end of the day this is a community to help people, not waste time making dream builds that nobody has any plan or source to make reality.

Nothing personal