Intel delid tool by Rockit Cool

Okedokey

Mostly it is a die to heat sink application where you remove the lid to apply the heatsink directly to the die. These days, its really not worth the hassle.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Mostly it is a die to heat sink application where you remove the lid to apply the heatsink directly to the die. These days, its really not worth the hassle.

I don't think so. It was because of the glue they used. They delidded, removed the glue and added a better thermal paste.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I've always wondered... why would you want to de-lid your CPU to begin with?!
Intel went from soldered lids to having thermal grease/paste between the IHS and the die. The attraction of de-lidding started when people figured out Intel was using crap thermal paste, either the paste was bad or there was too much of it. So they de-lid the thing, cleaned up the OEM paste and applied stuff like IC Diamond on it and placed the lid back on. I believe this started on the i7 2xxx series processors (where the thermal paste was REALLY bad), but I'm not sure if de-lidding the current stuff have the significant impact it once had (The guys doing it on the 2xxx series had temp drops of like 25+ degrees Celsius from CoreTemp).

Intel_man

VIP Member
That exactly is why I never understood why people want to de-lid their CPU's. Screw the thermal paste, just put on a better cooler/heatsink. Same difference! Why risk damaging your expensive processor?
You should read what I wrote earlier...

Intel went from soldered lids to having thermal grease/paste between the IHS and the die. The attraction of de-lidding started when people figured out Intel was using crap thermal paste, either the paste was bad or there was too much of it. So they de-lid the thing, cleaned up the OEM paste and applied stuff like IC Diamond on it and placed the lid back on. I believe this started on the i7 2xxx series processors (where the thermal paste was REALLY bad), but I'm not sure if de-lidding the current stuff have the significant impact it once had (The guys doing it on the 2xxx series had temp drops of like 25+ degrees Celsius from CoreTemp).

beers

Staff member
I believe this started on the i7 2xxx series processors
Wasn't Sandy Bridge the last one to be soldered, which matched the 2xxx series? I believe Ivy introduced the TIM.

Screw the thermal paste, just put on a better cooler/heatsink. Same difference! Why risk damaging your expensive processor?
If your thermal limitation is between the CPU die and heatspreader, placing a larger cooler on top of the heatspreader isn't going to make a difference.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Wasn't Sandy Bridge the last one to be soldered, which matched the 2xxx series? I believe Ivy introduced the TIM.
It believe that is correct, the 3xxx series was the introduction of that stuff. The rest of my post still stands though.

What is impressive though is someone delid a X5670 (LGA1366) and got a 30 degree temp drop.

frozen_one

That exactly is why I never understood why people want to de-lid their CPU's. Screw the thermal paste, just put on a better cooler/heatsink. Same difference! Why risk damaging your expensive processor?

If your thermal limitation is between the CPU die and heatspreader, placing a larger cooler on top of the heatspreader isn't going to make a difference.

Getting a bigger cooler really just means "throw money at it" and that only goes so far. Delidding is cost effective and can have great results.

Okedokey

No I get that, but it used to be a norm in enthusiast circles back in the day. These days, its kind of pointless.