Intel i5-8400 High Frequency

OmniDyne

Hello!

I'm not really sure if this is an issue, but the Intel i5-8400 I recently purchased will not run at base clock speed, in the BIOS or in Windows. It seems like it's stuck at max Turbo frequency. Base speed is supposed to be 2.8 GHz.

I disabled multi-core enhancement in the BIOS, and it made no difference. I also tried setting it to Auto.

I disabled the XMP profile setting, to no avail. I read that some boards will increase the voltage on the processor when increasing the RAM speed. Not sure if that's true, but it didn't work anyways.

I'm not having system instability, or any odd issues. Everything honestly is running incredibly well.

Maybe a BIOS update would fix this? The motherboard is the Gigabyte Z370P D3.

Untitled.png

Last edited:

OmniDyne

All C states are set to auto, including C1E. Everything is actually set to auto in the Advanced CPU settings.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Hmmm... yea I would definitely update the BIOS revision to the latest one if that's not already been done. Definitely sounds like the Turbo Boost is not doing it's job properly.

Darren

Staff member
Hmmm... yea I would definitely update the BIOS revision to the latest one if that's not already been done. Definitely sounds like the Turbo Boost is not doing it's job properly.
Should do this anytime you do a new build anyway, particularly on new platforms/hardware.

Laquer Head

Should do this anytime you do a new build anyway, particularly on new platforms/hardware.

Pretty much the first thing I do with every new build...I've only once bought a new mobo that had most current BIOS on it, every other one I flashed before anything else.

OmniDyne

Well I updated the BIOS to the newest version released 3/1; same issue.

I tried enabling/ disabling C1, EIST, and Turbo Boost. It didn't seem to make any difference.

Not sure if it matters, but if I change Windows power plan to Balanced or Power saver, the processor doesn't seem to have any problems dropping below 1GHz, and everywhere in between, depending on the load. But it's stuck at 3.8GHz in the BIOS. Maybe I should just change everything to enabled? lol.

20180403_022828[1].jpg 20180403_023205[1].jpg 20180403_023446[1].jpg

Last edited:

OmniDyne

I changed everything from Auto to Enabled; all C states, Turbo Boost, Speed Shift, EIST, Efficient Turbo. Voltage Optimization. No changes.

Should I contact customer support?

OmniDyne

Alright well I've Googled and Googled and posted in other forums. I guess I'll just wait to see what happens. I'm not really sure if this is something to worry about or not.

Nobody else seems to have the same issue.

I've seen the frequency hit 4GHz on all cores a couple of times, so I don't know if it's just a bad reading or maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere. Oh well.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try going into your power settings and change the minimum processor state to 100 percent. You should disable speedstep in the bios as well. Speedstep is what allows the cpu to reduce speed when not needed.

OmniDyne

Try going into your power settings and change the minimum processor state to 100 percent. You should disable speedstep in the bios as well. Speedstep is what allows the cpu to reduce speed when not needed.

I tried doing both.

But the issue is that the processer won't drop to base frequency, not the other way around.

Even in the BIOS the processor is at maximum frequency. Same with Windows, it won't drop no matter what. And it even goes above Intel's spec of all cores at 3.8GHz.

All 6 cores will hit 4GHz, and I don't know if that's bad or not lol.

Last edited: