Intel i7-7700 vs AMD Ryzen 7 1700

HellFox

I was wondering the pros and cons of each of the aforementioned CPUs.

I noticed the high thread count on the 1700, (Placed at 16), I was wondering if it is just simply not reasonable to have that many threads. Would 16 threads just simply not be used? Would it be a waste of system resources?

I intend on using one of the below mentioned builds as a gaming rig. I realize the builds Will Not be of gaming rig quality.

I have two computer builds laid out, one using the Ryzen CPU, and the other using the Kaby Lake CPU. Feel free to critique my builds as much as you want. I'm new to this and I do not claim that these builds are any good.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Build
Intel Core i7-7700 Build

Thank you for any and all feedback

Darren

Staff member
You'd be better off going with a Ryzen 5 chip and better GPU like an RX 580 or GTX 1060. The GPU has much more impact on gaming performance than the CPU does.

I'd take Ryzen over the 7700K but I'm likely a somewhat biased source (see avatar and signature).

beers

Staff member
Would 16 threads just simply not be used?
Depends what you're doing. If you're just straight gaming the 7700 is a reasonable play for games right now. You'd get more longevity out of the 1700 I think.

As per Darren you'd get a lot better gaming performance with a Ryzen 5 and putting the same amount of money in upgrading that 1050 Ti.

HellFox

You'd get more longevity out of the 1700 I think.

I had a hunch. The AM4 socket just came out, I expect it to be used more frequently. As such, there would be newer processors being released on this socket-type, therefore increasing the longevity of the entire build because I would not have to get a new mobo 6 months down the road. Am I safe in assuming this?

Darren

Staff member
I had a hunch. The AM4 socket just came out, I expect it to be used more frequently. As such, there would be newer processors being released on this socket-type, therefore increasing the longevity of the entire build because I would not have to get a new mobo 6 months down the road. Am I safe in assuming this?
Yes. AMD has stated that they'll use AM4 until DDR5 comes out basically.