Intel i7 920 Vs. AMD Phenom ii x4 940

MorningWood

Im building a pure %100 gaming computer that will be only used for....GAMING. Money isn't a problem, but uneeded spending is always a big deal. For example, getting a Intel i7 965 Extreme Edition for 1k when you can just buy an Intel i7 920 for $280 and overclock it, right?

So, this computer is going to be used for hardcore gaming. I read the sticky about which processor to chose and whatnot, but I want some biased and un-biased answers. People that own AMD and people that own Intel and tell me which would be ideal.

Again, this is plainly between Intel i7 920 vs. AMD Phenom ii x4 940 - Which would perform BETTER in gaming?

Yeah, if your going i7 dont waste your money on an extreme, heck, you can get watercooling and an i7 920 for cheaper than an extreme. In gaming... either system would more than likely work just as well, but the i7 system is in itself more powerful.

Yeah, if your going i7 dont waste your money on an extreme, heck, you can get watercooling and an i7 920 for cheaper than an extreme. In gaming... either system would more than likely work just as well, but the i7 system is in itself more powerful.

Thanks for the quick response. Yea im kinda leaning towards the i7 as of right now. Just because the Mobos for the Intels seems better and more powerful than the AMD choices

And I should pair up AMD w/ ATI and Intel w/ NVIDIA right?

Thanks for the quick response. Yea im kinda leaning towards the i7 as of right now. Just because the Mobos for the Intels seems better and more powerful than the AMD choices

And I should pair up AMD w/ ATI and Intel w/ NVIDIA right?

Dont really matter, amd owns ati but that doesnt really matter. What i have heard though, is that there are some mysterious performance issues(slightly slower than an amd system in games... but i7 is quite a bit more powerful than phenom II) with core i7 and nvidia cards, but i imagine that they will be hammered out by a bios or driver update in the comming months. But whichever graphics your looking at, they should work fine(nvidia OR ati).

The extreme edition is only NOT pointless if you're planning to benchmark it.

Yeah... since having bus clocks higher than the stock speed of the actual cpu dont tend to turn out too well, even with LN2. Btw, anyone see that video with the phenom II at just above 3 kelvin under liquid helium?

^ I havnt seen that video...

I think im going with the "Intel i7 920" with a "ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard" and a "EVGA 017-P3-1294-AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card"

I think Phenom is great on gaming becasue most of reviews that I encounter lot's of intel users ends up changing to phenom. But still not sure with my research.

Hmm...

Even though ive read the AMD is for gaming, the i7 does look superior. Mobo wise, and even memory. I dont think the AMD supports DDR3 triple channel while the i7 does.

Model
Brand Intel
Series Core i7
Model BX80601920
CPU Socket Type
CPU Socket Type LGA 1366
Tech Spec
Core Nehalem
Multi-Core Quad-Core
Name Core i7 920
Operating Frequency 2.66GHz
QPI 4.8GT/s
L2 Cache 4 x 256KB
L3 Cache 8MB
Manufacturing Tech 45 nm
64 bit Support Yes
Hyper-Threading Support Yes
Virtualization Technology Support Yes
Voltage 0.80V-1.375V
Thermal Power 130W
Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan included

Model
Brand AMD
Series Phenom II X4
Model HDZ940XCGIBOX
CPU Socket Type
CPU Socket Type Socket AM2+
Tech Spec
Core Deneb
Multi-Core Quad-Core
Name Phenom II X4 940
Operating Frequency 3.0GHz
Hyper Transports 3600MHz
L1 Cache 4 x 128KB
L2 Cache 4 x 512KB
L3 Cache 6MB
Manufacturing Tech 45 nm
64 bit Support 32 and 64 bit Support
Voltage 0.875-1.5V
Thermal Power 125W
Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan included

Last edited:
So would a NVIDIA with the Intel i7 be better than a ATI card?

Perferably the Geforce GTX 295 vs. ATI Radeon HD 4890

Core i7 is obviously the best but not so good in budget PCs

Just figured I'd chime in for a total system build. The other day - I was able to knock 40 bucks off my Gigabyte UD4P by using google to find a 20.00 coupon code + rebate.

If you do go the i7 platform - be sure to exhaust Combo deals - and all available coupons before putting your order in. Also, if you're a US buyer - it's a good idea to get on New Egg's mailer list for weekly sales discounts beyond what's on their website.

Just figured I'd chime in for a total system build. The other day - I was able to knock 40 bucks off my Gigabyte UD4P by using google to find a 20.00 coupon code + rebate.

If you do go the i7 platform - be sure to exhaust Combo deals - and all available coupons before putting your order in. Also, if you're a US buyer - it's a good idea to get on New Egg's mailer list for weekly sales discounts beyond what's on their website.

Thanks man. Yea I was scouting around for some coupons before the buy. I have gotten like -$300 before off coupons...

Back