Intel July 22nd Processor Poll (Pic included)

Which Processor would you choose?

• Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0ghz

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Luchman

ok quad core it is. Now, is the zalman 9700 cpu fan and the antec 900 case good enough to overclock to 3.0ghz?

Im curious about this too.

I was always under the impression that it wasn't easy or smart to overclock a quad..

The q6600 will be more powerful in the future, as programs and games will be allowed to take full advantage of the 4 cores.. Doesn't it make sense to go with the more powerful CPU, with them both being the same price?

Yeah but by that time, new processors that will be better designed to run those apps will be out. We don't know everything about multithreaded apps and will gain more knowledge as time moves on, as we gain more knowledge we will produce new methods and probably need some other type of ability in a processor. Therefore the future is quad, but now is not the future.;)

Last edited:

Jughead

banned
So Intelcrazy, which do you suggest?

GO with dual core now and when you need to upgrade to quad core the prices should be cheaper plus there arent many apps or games that support dual core now so a quad core would be a waste of money when you wont need it now and better quad cores will be coming out when the time comes.

Plus the Q6600 isnt a true quad core it is two core 2 duos on one die.

wafflez

GO with dual core now and when you need to upgrade to quad core the prices should be cheaper plus there arent many apps or games that support dual core now so a quad core would be a waste of money when you wont need it now and better quad cores will be coming out when the time comes.

Plus the Q6600 isnt a true quad core it is two core 2 duos on one die.

let's say i'm not upgrading anything in this machine for the next 2-3 years...

hermeslyre

VIP Member
People don't like to wait till the end of the year, or at least I don't. :p

Today isn't the future but a year is. And OP doesn't want to upgrade for a couple years so.. Wait till July 22nd and pick up the Quad (my suggestion), or buy the dual, whenever it comes out. If you spend too much time thinking about it you'll only create more uncertainties. Just go wit your gut and don't look back! :D

Cleric7x9

you should definitely choose the one you like better, but dont worry, i promise you whichever you get you arent going to be sitting at your computer wishing it was faster. unless you are compiling tons of soure code or editing high def videos either CPU is a powerhouse and i think you will be happy with whatever choice you make!

Luchman

Then wait till the end of the year to build and get a better and cheaper Quad core.

If thats the case, then he might as well not get a computer at all in this market...

If you don't think you plan on upgrading before 2-3 years, then I say, hands down, definitely, get the quad.

If they are already spitting out games that "somewhat utilizes" four cores (Supreme Commander, Crysis, Valve is messing around to try and use four cores,- Isn't Bioshock supporting four cores??) then I have a feeling that by at LEAST Q4 of 2008, it will start to be the norm to use four cores in games.

Now, whether the Q6600 will be worthy compared to newer quads in that time will be a different story, but at least you wont have just two cores...

If thats the case, then he might as well not get a computer at all in this market...

If you don't think you plan on upgrading before 2-3 years, then I say, hands down, definitely, get the quad.

If they are already spitting out games that "somewhat utilizes" four cores (Supreme Commander, Crysis, Valve is messing around to try and use four cores,- Isn't Bioshock supporting four cores??) then I have a feeling that by at LEAST Q4 of 2008, it will start to be the norm to use four cores in games.

Now, whether the Q6600 will be worthy compared to newer quads in that time will be a different story, but at least you wont have just two cores...

Guess what? In Q4 of 2008 I will get a quad core:)

Luchman

Guess what? In Q4 of 2008 I will get a quad core:)

Haha, yeah, but he doesn't want to upgrade then.

But thats why I have been in between on choosing; I was planning on doing something along the lines of what you are, waiting until about mid next year to upgrade to quad. But... Crysis... I would be bummed If I bought a dual and have that game kick butt with quads.

Haha, yeah, but he doesn't want to upgrade then.

But thats why I have been in between on choosing; I was planning on doing something along the lines of what you are, waiting until about mid next year to upgrade to quad. But... Crysis... I would be bummed If I bought a dual and have that game kick butt with quads.

Nope the game will run just as good on a dually

wafflez

ok I've decided. Core 2 Quad OC'd to 3.0ghz with a zalman 9700 cpu cooler and the antec 900 case. haha thanks for voting and the help guys!

TheOrangeDude

I will go with e6750. since i decide to wait for amd bacelrona/agena Qua core. beside at this moment no game/application can take up to more then 2 core.