Intel mother board tripping

bukitimah

Hi I am new here. I have a pentium 4 HT 2.4 GHz 800 MHz (not sure those figures mean anything). It is using a Intel D865GBF motherboard. When I purchased this system, I install a GForce FX 5200 graphic card. The vendor told me it is too hot for the system.

It is true and I upgraded to a bigger casing with better ventilation to reduce heat. I experienced tripping on and off but system is fairly stable. Recently, I again experience tripping but I checked the temp and it is OK The processor zone is around 47 C. Someone told me it could be due to the RAM. I replaced the RAM but it still tripped. My experience is when it tripped, the next trip interval seems closer.

I removed the graphic card and use the built-in graphic card and it still tripped. Somehow, I feel it tripped more often when it is running on media window player. (Not very sure of this). After 3 tripping within minutes, I typed this mail and has no problem.

Would greatly appreciate advice what should I check and how to go about doing this. This is system is good and fairly fast and reliable other than the tripping.

Thank you

Alphatronix

hmmm

well, if the FX5200 video card is to hot for your motherbaord, then you have a very crappy motherboard. That video card isnt all that powerful nor does it run hot.

Either try updating your motherboards firmware or upgrade your motherboard.
Im ALMOST certain that the tripping will go away with a new motherboard.

bukitimah

Hi, thanks for your response. I actually removed the graphic card but the tripping still occur. I feel it is either the power source is unstable or the mother board problem. Processor normally don't give problem unless over-clocked.

I was using the intel monitoring software to monitor the power, notice the voltage fluctuate between 12.118 to 12.313 volts. Is this normal?

The Intel mother board is still under warranty, how do I convince them the board is faulty? According to them, I need to test it and tell them the problem before they can replace for me.

ceewi1

VIP Member
I'd look at the PSU first. Do you have any info on it? The brand, wattage, and particularly amperage available on the +12V rail would be helpful (although even if it's a quality unit, it could just be defective).

Alphatronix

just change the mobo. It aint the gfx card and it def aint the processor unless its clocked. And even if you have all the PSU info, i wont change the fact that your mobo is buggin out. Thats what i love about computers, if the problem aint inside the hard drive then there's not to many options to go with when it comes to hardware :D

bukitimah

Hi, I just wanted to update and hopefully others with the same problem can also try this out.

I gave up after trying all sort of things and call in the computer repair guy. He checked my system but found nothing wrong. He even plug in a new power supply with a better filtering circuit.

He played the video while go on live to play counter strike for 3 hours without tripping!

Last thing he did was to scan for virus and found torjan horse virus. According to him, this might be the reason but he is not sure. He ask me to use the computer and reset till the system failed before calling him.

I have used it for the past few days without problem. Now I really don't know what is the problem or if it is fixed.

So next time if you face similar problem scan for virus first.

bukitimah

Hi, I agree the Intel MB is great. Yesterday, I run it for more than 4 hours and it is still going fine.

Hopefully, the problem is resolved. However, I didn't put back the GForce graphic card. I am not playing games thus decided not to use the card anymore. Notice the temp is higher with the graphic card but this should not have caused the tripping.