intel or amd

curmudgeon

My computer that I built about five years ago is probably on it's last legs, and deserves to be retired. I don't think I'll build one this time. I've had good luck with a Dell laptop I got a few years ago, so I'm thinking of going Dell. My question is, should I go Intel or AMD? I've always paid the premium for Intel in the past, but is it still worth it? I use the computer for design work. My current computer kind of bogs down on the big files.
So anyway, do people recommend Intel or AMD these days for graphics processing? I'm on a bit of a budget, looking at "midlevel" stuff. :)
Also while I'm asking, Dell has a Windows 7 option that includes a "windows XP mode", but it's an extra $50. I think it use to be free. I was thinking of paying the extra $50 for the "xp mode", but I read some reviews that implied it isn't that good. Maybe this should be a separate post, but what do you think of having an "xp mode" on Windows 7 if it costs an extra $50.
Thanks!

UPDATE: I got an email from Dell yesterday for a Vostro system on major sale, and decided to pull the trigger. I went Intel, and decided to skip the $50 XP mode. Thanks for the input and expert advice. You "almost" convinced me to build a computer again, but I want this one now, and I think I'll build my next one when I have more free time. Thanks again! :)
UPDATE2: Just thought I'd update that I did get a Dell 420 (Intel based) with Windows 7 Pro, and it is just fine for everything I do. Windows 7 Pro lets me run XP mode, which I used to do a lot, but don't much anymore. Still, it's a nice feature. But now I guess it's only a matter of time before Windows 7 hits END OF LIFE just like XP did, and then I'll be needed a new computer yet again! Thanks again for the input here.

Last edited:

joh06937

i would just like to preface my post with: if you build yourself, you will save a lot of money and will (almost always) get a better system out of it. if you are just a little worried about building yourself, we can definitely help you along the way. but if you just don't want to, well, that is just up to you. but i would suggest building yourself...

for amd vs intel, it really does depend on what you plan on doing. since you want to do a lot of vpu intensive things, i would probably go with an intel processor. however, you'll probably end up spending a little more than if you went amd. intel is almost always worth the extra money as long as your really need the processing power.

for the xp mode, unless you are planning on using applications that only work with xp, i would not get it. doesn't sound like it would be useful other than, like i said, running xp only programs.

Fatback

VIP Member
Well if you're going to buy Dell, then you don't really get to choose Intel, or AMD. As far as I know 98% of Dells computers have Intel. The ones that have AMD are usually the lower end models.

Drenlin

If the programs you use are well multithreaded, an AMD Phenom II 1055T 6-core processor is very hard to beat at $200.

Anything more expensive and you're probably better off with Intel. Any less expensive and you're still in Phenom II x4 territory.

Last edited: