Interesting Memory Problem

mikey4865

New Member
So I have already talked to some people about my problem and they are all pretty unsure, only explanation is that the RAM is bad but none are sure. So here is my problem:
I have Dual Kingston 1GB DDR RAM installed that I upgraded a long time ago (From the Stock Dell Dimension 4600, no problems ran fine for years)
So I log in and the computer is shutting down and restarting, shutting down restarting, I open up the setup menu and check some stuff, (didn't change anything) and it still showed my dual 1024mb RAM.
But then I get my computer running and I open up the system icon in the control panel, reads 256mb!!!
So I then take out one of the Memory sticks, turn the computer back on it says memory has changed and I press F1 to continue, computer starts and I check the system icon again expecting to read 1024mb, but it shows 512mb!?
So then I take that memory stick out and switch it with the one I took out earlier. I then try to start up the computer and no luck, just keeps starting and restarting, starting and restarting...
Any idea, is my RAM bad?

PS. I'm working on getting some DDR ram I can install just to see if it works and to check if my RAM is bad...
 
Nope never heard of that, I did do Belarc Advisor if that is similar it showed the same amount of memory that the system icon showed. But i'll try downloading the memtest and get back to you
 
You download memtest then run it from a bootable flash drive or floppy disk and it tests your RAM. It cannot be run while in windows AFAIK.
 
still having trouble running this memtest. I downloaded Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) Version 4.00 and saved it to my flash drive but still nothing....
 
still having trouble running this memtest. I downloaded Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) Version 4.00 and saved it to my flash drive but still nothing....
Just copying the file on it doesn't do anything, you'll either have to burn the ISO on a CD as an image or use a special utility to make a bootable USB stick out of the image.
 
Still having trouble, I burned the ISO file to a blank CD and went into the system and had it boot from the CD drive first, still nothing....
 
Back
Top